- Title: U.S. strikes in Syria receive mixed reactions in Lebanon
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: AKKAR, LEBANON (APRIL 7, 2017) (REUTERS) ROWS OF TENTS IN MAKESHIFT SYRIAN REFUGEE SETTLEMENT SYRIAN REFUGEES WALKING BETWEEN TENTS VARIOUS OF SYRIAN REFUGEES SITTING OUTSIDE TENT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SYRIAN REFUGEE FROM HOMS, MEHYEDINE AKKARI, SAYING: "I don't expect any change, not me and not the Syrian people, expect anything. We are frustrated by the U.S. stance and the entire world's stance. The U.S., even though it has attacked Shayrat base in Syria now, it remains a weak action. It is like giving the Syrian people who are bleeding a painkiller but they will still continue to bleed until the last drop." VARIOUS OF CLOTHES HANGING AND REFUGEES WALKING BETWEEN TENTS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SYRIAN REFUGEE FROM HOMS, ABOU AHMAD, SAYING: "He (Syrian President Bashar al-Assad) is worthless in the view of the world, he is like a child being manipulated whichever way they like. How could he attack children with chemical weapons? The attack should have been directed on him directly, on his palace, not the airbase." REFUGEE WOMEN WALKING / ONE WALKING WITH CRUTCH MAN ON MOTORBIKE AT MAKESHIFT SETTLEMENT BEIRUT, LEBANON (APRIL 7, 2017) (REUTERS) MOHAMMED AL-AMIN MOSQUE IN CENTRAL BEIRUT PEOPLE WALKING PAST THE MOSQUE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE CITIZEN, MOHAMMED YASSINE, SAYING: "Actions that can put an end to the war in Syria should have been done earlier. We wish it would have been from Arab forces, not from foreign ones." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LEAVING AL-AMIN MOSQUE AFTER FRIDAY'S PRAYERS PEOPLE WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE CITIZEN, NASSIM ABOU SALEH, SAYING: "It is stupid and disrespecting to the whole Muslim people. It is a shame for any Arab human not to condemn what happened. We heard some Arab leaders on television, it is as if they do not exist." VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC DRIVING PAST LEBANESE FLAG IN CENTRAL BEIRUT
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 13:05
- Keywords: Mideast crisis Syria U.S. reaction refugees Lebanon Akkar Beirut
- Location: AKKAR AND BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: AKKAR AND BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BEE5AF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: United States firing cruise missiles on Friday (April 7) at a Syrian air base from which President Donald Trump said a deadly chemical weapons attack had been launched were received differently among Syrian refugees and Lebanese citizen across the border.
One Syrian refugee, Mehyedine Akkari, who fled to North Lebanon's Akkar makeshift settlement said that the action was weak and "is like giving the Syrian people who are bleeding a painkiller."
In Beirut, citizens said they wished the attack happened earlier but preferred "it would have been from Arab forces, not from foreign ones."
The U.S. strike is the first direct U.S. assault on the government of Bashar al-Assad in six years of civil war.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None