- Title: Inter-American Development Bank moves offices to Buenos Aires slum
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (APRIL 7, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF INFORMAL HOUSING, AND DUSTY STREETS IN THE VILLA 31 SLUM NEIGHBOURHOOD WHERE THE INTER-AMERICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK WILL MOVE OFFICES RESIDENTS WALKING IN COMMUNITY INFORMAL HOUSING, CONSTRUCTION WORKER MEN PULLING CART FULL OF PLASTIC BUCKETS AND CARDBOARD GENERAL VIEW OF RESIDENTS WALKING IN COMMUNITY CLOSE-UP OF GIRL BEING PUSHED IN BUGGIE WOMEN WALKING WITH CHILDREN VARIOUS OF BOY LOOKING OUT FROM METAL BALCONY VARIOUS OF INTER-AMERICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK EMPLOYEES (IDB) WALKING THROUGH SLUM PRESIDENT OF THE INTER-AMERICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK, ALBERTO MORENO, SPEAKING WITH LOCAL RESIDENT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PRESIDENT OF THE INTER-AMERICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK, ALBERTO MORENO, SAYING: "We're a development bank. This is what we do. So we're making a big bet by actually having one of our largest offices in the IDB located here in the villa (slum), and actually making a big statement of saying 'we believe that this is possible', and this will, I hope, begin to open the minds of many private businesses to come here together." WOMEN WALKING INSIDE TOP FLOOR OF PRECARIOUS SLUM HOUSE ENTRANCE TO HOUSE WITH DIRTY WHITE CURTAIN TIED UP IN DOORWAY WOMEN WALKING THROUGH COMMUNITY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CHIEF OF GOVERNMENT OF BUENOS AIRES, HORACIO RODRIGUEZ LARRETA, SAYING: "The construction of the IDB (Inter-American Development Bank) here is going to create a lot of jobs for a lot of people in the neighbourhood and is going to help bring dynamism and opportunities for everyone. I am also making the most of the fact that my friend, Woods (Staton), announced that he will open the first McDonald's here in the neighbourhood (Villa) 31, so very good, thank you." GENERAL VIEW OF SLUM PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH SLUM A YOUNG BOY IN A CORRIDOR OUTSIDE HOUSE SHOES HANGING FROM ELECTRICITY CABLES GENERAL VIEW OF SLUM
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 22:54
- Keywords: Inter-American Development Bank slum Argentina Buenos Aires villa development
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BEKLKZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) said on Friday (April 7) it would open its Argentina offices, one of the largest of the regional entity, in the Buenos Aires slum neighbourhood, Villa 31, where it plans to invest and rebuild.
The offices will be constructed on a cement football pitch overlooking the informally built houses of brick and steel roofs in which some 40,000 people live inside the 32-hectare (79-acre) community. Thirty percent of all Argentines live in similar conditions.
President of the bank, Alberto Moreno, said jobs would be created in the construction of the offices, giving opportunities to all those living in the community.
The IDB plans to invest $150 million dollars into the neighbourhood and attract private businesses, such as a McDonald's, which Buenos Aires Chief of Government, Horacio Rodriguez, said would open alongside the new offices.
The oldest and most iconic slum town in the city, Villa 31 has survived many processes of relocation endured by other poor communities to suburbs further from schools and employment. Supporters of the former left wing government have criticised Mauricio Macri's current centre-right government for promoting property developers set on gentrifying the area.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None