- Title: Helicopters fly near air base hit by U.S. strike
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: NEAR HOMS, SYRIA (APRIL 7, 2017) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SYRIAN HELICOPTERS FLYING OVER MILITARY AIR BASE HIT BY U.S. STRIKE VARIOUS OF MILITARY BUNKERS
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 17:47
- Keywords: Syria Homs air base U.S. strike U.S. President Donald Trump Syrian President Bashar al-Assad chemical weapons sarin gas
- Location: NEAR HOMS, SYRIA
- City: NEAR HOMS, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BEJT53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Helicopters were seen on Friday (April 7) flying over the Syrian military air base near Homs that was hit by a U.S. missiles after President Donald Trump's first major foray into the Syrian civil war.
U.S. officials informed Russian forces ahead of the strikes, which were intended to punish the Syrian government for what they said was a chemical weapons attack, and avoided hitting Russian personnel.
The U.S. action catapulted Washington into confrontation with Russia, which has military advisers on the ground aiding its ally, President Bashar al-Assad.
Western allies of the United States spoke out in support of the decision to launch the strikes. Several countries said they were notified in advance, but none had been asked to take part.
The Syrian government and Moscow have denied that Syrian forces were behind the gas attack, but Western countries dismissed their explanation that chemicals leaked from a rebel weapons depot after an air strike as not credible.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None