- Title: Iraqi forces await orders to enter Mosul's Old City
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: TAYYARAN NEIGHBORHOOD, SOUTHWEST MOSUL, IRAQ (APRIL 7, 2017) (REUTERS) MOSUL SKYLINE/MOSQUE MINARET VARIOUS OF EL-NURI MOSQUE MINARET WITH ISLAMIC STATE FLAG VARIOUS OF SNIPER IN ROOM SMOKE RISING FROM DAMAGED BUILDING SNIPER LOOKING THROUGH SCOPE DAMAGED BUILDING VARIOUS OF STREET WITH DAMAGED AND DESTROYED BUILDINGS VARIOUS OF RUBBLE IN STREETS HUMVEE AND RESIDENTS IN STREET DESTROYED SHOP FRONT FEDERAL POLICE SOLDIERS AND RESIDENTS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) FEDERAL POLICE BRIGADIER GENERAL, HAFEZ HEZBANI, SAYING: "Yes, the latest is that the forces have new plans to storm the Old City in Mosul and we have controlled almost all roads. We are now waiting for orders from the command." AID TRUCKS WITH PEOPLE STANDING BY VARIOUS WATER AND FOOD AID SOLDIERS UNLOADING AID HUMVEES AND PEOPLE STANDING BY GROUP OF PEOPLE STANDING WAITING FOR AID (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) WEST MOSUL RESIDENT, ZAKARIA TAWFIK, SAYING: "Islamic State besieged us and they destroyed everything. Look at the people, they are tired there is no food or water. The forces have not forgotten us and here is the aid. God help us over the tyranny that we have seen." VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS UNLOADING AID RESIDENTS QUEUING IN STREET WAITING FOR AID
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 15:16
- Keywords: Mosul Old City el-Nuri Mosque Iraq Iraqi forces
- Location: TAYYARAN NEIGHBORHOOD, SOUTHWEST MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: TAYYARAN NEIGHBORHOOD, SOUTHWEST MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BEIWQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi forces on the edge of Mosul's Old City await orders to storm the Islamic State stronghold, officers said on Friday (April 7).
Federal Police Brigadier General, Hafez Hezbani said the army have prepared new plans to storm the Old City and are awaiting orders to go ahead.
The forces are trying to advance through the narrow, maze-like streets towards the symbolic al-Nuri mosque, where Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared a caliphate in 2014.
But progress is much slower than in the early phases of the campaign, during which government forces took nearly three quarters of the city within five months.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None