- Title: Top EU officials offer cautious endorsement of Trump strikes in Syria
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (APRIL 4, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF EUROPEAN COMMISSION SIGN ABOVE ENTRANCE DOOR TO COMMISSION / PEOPLE GETTING IN AND OUT OF COMMISSION BUILDING
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 11:54
- Keywords: US Syria strikes chemical weapons Jucker Commission EU Tusk Council
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM AND INTERNET
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM AND INTERNET
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BEI153
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two top EU officials on Friday (April 7) offered cautious endorsement of U.S. President Donald Trump's missile strikes on a Syrian airbase.
The sharp escalation of Washington's military engagement in the Syrian war came after a chemical attack - which the West says was carried out by Damascus - killed dozens of people in an area held by rebels seeking to oust President Bashar al-Assad.
The head of the bloc's executive European Commission said he "understood" efforts to deter any more chemical attacks.
European Council President Donald Tusk said on Twitter that the U.S. strikes on a Syrian air base showed the West's resolve against chemical attacks.
The European Union supports Syrian opposition and some moderate rebels negotiating in U.N.-mediated talks with representatives of Damascus, which in turn has the political and military backing of Russia and Iran.
The talks have long been stalled and the war, which is in its seventh year, has killed more than 400,000 people, displaced millions inside Syria and set off a wave of refugees seeking shelter in neighbouring countries as well as the EU.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None