- Title: Rival two Koreas reunite at ice hockey game
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: NORTH AND SOUTH KOREAN TEAM STANDING IN LINE AT RINK EXTERIOR OF GANGNEUNG HOCKEY CENTRE
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 05:23
- Keywords: South Korea North Korea women's ice hockey Gangneung 2018 Winter Olympics
- Location: GANGNEUNG, SOUTH KOREA
- City: GANGNEUNG, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Ice Hockey,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00C6BEFUWV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: North and South Koreas reunited at a rare game between two rival North and South Korean women's ice hockey teams in Gangneung on Thursday (April 6).
Seoul has given the North Korean women's ice hockey team the green light on March 29 to take part in the game as the North's athletes needed approval from Seoul to enter the South after their 1950-53 Korean War ended with a truce, not a peace treaty. The two Koreas are still at technically in a state of war.
The North athletes are visiting South Korea from April 1 to April 9 to take part in the International Ice Hockey Federation's (IIHF) Women's World Championship Division II Group A match. The delegation consists of 20 players and 10 coaches and other staffs.
The match will be used as a test event for the ice hockey at the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea.
Despite high tensions on the Korean peninsula due to the North's missile and nuclear threat, South Korean people on Thursday cheered not only their team but also North Korean team, wishing a better relationship between the two countries. South Korea defeated North Korea 3-0.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.