- Title: WEST BANK: Clashes erupt at barrier demo in the West Bank
- Date: 20th December 2008
- Summary: JAYYOUS VILLAGE, NEAR QALQILYA, WEST BANK (DECEMBER 19, 2008) (REUTERS) HUNDREDS OF ACTIVISTS CARRYING BANNERS AND PALESTINIAN FLAGS MARCHING DURING ANTI-BARRIER DEMONSTRATION MORE OF DEMONSTRATORS DEMONSTRATORS CLAPPING AND CHANTING ANTI-BARRIER SLOGANS ISRAELI SOLDIERS WATCHING NEARBY SITE OF DEMONSTRATION BANNER READING 'REJECT APARTHEID, RESIST OCCUPATION AND SUPPORT THE STRUGGLE IN JAYYOUS' VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS THROWING STONES TOWARDS SOLDIERS TEAR GAS CANISTER SMOKE DEMONSTRATORS DURING PROTEST DEMONSTRATORS THROWING STONES WHILE ISRAELI SOLDIER SHOOTING GUN SMOKE BILLOWING FROM TEAR GAS CANISTER VARIOUS OF PARAMEDICS GIVING TREATMENT TO INJURED FOREIGN CIVILIAN MORE OF STONE THROWING (AUDIO: GUNFIRE) VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS SHOOTING RIFLE (AUDIO: GUNFIRE) YOUTH THROWING STONE AND RUNNING AWAY YOUTH DUCKING FROM GUNFIRE (AUDIO: GUNFIRE) SOLDIER SHOOTING TEAR GAS RIFLE
- Embargoed: 4th January 2009 12:00
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVAM64Z1YYZ7AP3USVDAD82AXCI
- Story Text: Activists clash with the Israeli army during two separate weekly demonstrations protesting Israel's construction of a separation barrier in the West Bank International and Palestinian activists clashed with the Israeli army during two separate anti-barrier demonstrations on Friday (December 19) in the West Bank villages of Jayyous and Nilin.
Near the town of Qalqilya, in the village of Jayyous, two demonstrators were injured during the weekly anti-barrier demonstration against Israel's construction of a separation barrier.
Palestinians threw rocks at the Israeli army and the army responded by firing rubber bullets and tear gas. A foreign female civilian was wounded in the head from rocks thrown by Palestinians. An Israeli army spokesperson said that the female foreign civilian was lightly injured and taken to an Israeli hospital for treatment.
Meanwhile in Nilin, activists marched in a separate anti-barrier protest against Israeli construction of separation barrier which cuts through Palestinian olive groves.
Six journalists were injured including a cameraman who was hit in the knee by a rubber bullet shot by the Israeli army.
In a third demonstration near village of Bilin, an Israeli army spokesperson said that two Israeli officers, two soldiers injured by rocks.
The army used riot dispersal methods against 100 stone throwers.
The international court of justice declared the planned 600-km (370-mile) separation barrier, more than half of which is completed, illegal, but Israel has ignored the non-binding ruling.
Israeli authorities say the barrier is needed to prevent would-be suicide bombers from infiltrating Israeli communities.
Palestinians say, that the barrier impose restrictions on Palestinians movement between cities and villages and prevents residents from tending to their farm land, and is an attempt by Israel to claim land Palestinians wish to have for a future independent state.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None