- Title: WEST BANK: Israeli soldiers forcibly disperse anti-settlement demonstration
- Date: 6th March 2011
- Summary: BEIT UMMAR, WEST BANK (MARCH 5, 2011) (REUTERS) ISRAELI SOLDIERS AND BORDER POLICEMEN YELLING AT DEMONSTRATORS TO BACK UP, SAYING THE AREA IS CLOSED MILITARY ZONE / SOLDIERS PUSHING DEMONSTRATORS/ TEAR GAS GRENADE SHOT / SOLDIERS CHASING DEMONSTRATORS AND PUSHING MAN ONTO STONE TERRACE VARIOUS OF MORE TEAR GAS GRENADES SHOT TOWARDS PROTESTERS, AS SOLDIERS PUSH BACK MEDIA CREWS/ ELDERLY MAN HOLDING HIS LEG AND YELLING ELDERLY MAN SITTING ON GROUND, HOLDING HIS LEG SOLDIERS SURROUNDING ELDERLY MAN WHO IS SITTING ON GROUND SOLDIERS PULLING MAN UP BY HIS SCARF, YELLING AT MEDIA CREWS "EVACUATE HIM AWAY FROM HERE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TAKING PHOTOS?" / MORE TEAR GAS GRENADES SHOT WOMAN HOLDING PALESTINIAN FLAG PHOTOGRAPHER LIMPING AWAY DEMONSTRATORS ARGUING WITH SOLDIERS ON TOP OF TERRACE VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS RUNNING AWAY AS TEAR GAS FIRED MORE OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS AND BORDER POLICEMEN
- Embargoed: 21st March 2011 12:00
- Location: West bank, West bank
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement,Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA33S74COGRGG1KFAS692V4AM69
- Story Text: Israeli policemen and soldiers scuffled with anti-settlement demonstrators on Saturday (March 5), near the West Bank village of Beit Ummar.
Around thirty Palestinians, Israelis and foreigners arrived at the weekly protest near the Jewish settlement of Karmei Tzur. Palestinian residents of Beit Ummar and other villages in the area say that some of their agricultural lands became inaccessible for them, and were annexed to a "security zone" surrounding the nearby settlement.
A Reuters video showed soldiers pushing demonstrators, and firing tear gas grenades towards them from close range. The soldiers were seen pulling an injured elderly man from his neck, and yelling at media crews to evacuate him from the scene.
Israeli military spokesperson unit said that a group of demonstrators hurled stones towards soldiers, who responded with crowd dispersal means. The spokesperson unit was not aware of anyone being injured in the incident.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None