- Title: WEST BANK: Boney M perform at the Palestine International Music Festival
- Date: 21st July 2010
- Summary: MAIZIE WILLIAMS LEAVING STAGE
- Embargoed: 5th August 2010 13:00
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz
- Reuters ID: LVA4KU2PXR384ET4F1DZD54ZDY6A
- Story Text: Maizie Williams, one of the original Boney M group members performed a concert at Ramallah's Cultural Palace in the West Bank on Tuesday (July 20).
The group was received with loud cheers as locals and foreigners who came to see Boney M danced to the rhythms of Daddy Cool, Rasputin and other Boney M hits.
One hit that was strangely not performed by the group is The Rivers of Babylon, asked about why the group neglected to play one of their most famous hits, Williams told Reuters they were asked not to play that song.
"We were asked not to do it, here they told us not to do it. I know, we wanted to do it but they asked us not to do it. I don't know if its a political thing or what but they asked us not to do it and we were a bit disappointed because we know that everyone loves this song (Rivers of Babylon)," Maizie Williams said.
While singing their encore the group allowed children to come on stage and dance with the members, one of whom was supporting a Palestinian black and white scarf.
"Our message to Palestine is that we love them, some of my best friends in the UK are Palestinians so I know about the politics and everything else that is going on. But at the end of the day they also love Boney M and they will be happy to hear that we were here. But I say to the Palestinian people, you know, be strong and things you know hang on in there and I believe everything sooner or later mellow out," Williams said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.