- Title: WEST BANK: Stone-throwing Palestinians clash with Israeli forces
- Date: 7th February 2009
- Summary: YOUTHS HURLING STONES VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS FIRING TEAR GAS CANISTERS YOUTHS RUNNING IN STREET SOLDIERS FIRING TEAR GAS HEBRON, WEST BANK (FEBRUARY 6, 2009) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TEAR GAS CANISTERS SHOT AT STREET, GAS SPREADING PALESTINIAN MAN RUNNING AWAY IN STREET WHILE TEAR GAS BEING FIRED ISRAELI SOLDIER STANDING ON BUILDING ROOF BY ISRAELI FLAG SOLDIER FIRING TEAR GAS PALESTINIAN WAVING GREEN HAMAS FLAG WHILE TEAR GAS BEING FIRED SOLDIERS ON ROOF TOP FIRING CANISTERS VARIOUS OF SMOKE IN STREET WOMEN AND CHILDREN RUNNING AWAY PALESTINIAN AND HAMAS FLAGS ON ROAD BY TEAR GAS SPREADING SMOKE COMING OUT OF BURNING TYRE ON ROAD JAAYOUS, WEST BANK (FEBRUARY 6, 2009) (REUTERS) ISRAELI BORDER POLICE IN VILLAGE BORDER POLICEMAN FIRING PALESTINIANS RUNNING PALESTINIAN YOUTHS HURLING STONES SOLDIER STANDING BEHIND JEEP DOOR YOUTHS HURLING STONES VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS DETAINING A PALESTINIAN PALESTINIAN SCREAMING POINTING TO HIS WOUNDED ARM PALESTINIAN VILLAGERS WALKING UP HILL WHILE STUN GRENADE BEING FIRED PALESTINIANS STANDING AROUND ISRAELI ARMY JEEP
- Embargoed: 22nd February 2009 12:00
- Topics: Defence / Military
- Reuters ID: LVA9IUCXEKNS1L72POD65K3V0E8P
- Story Text: Israeli military and border police forces clashed with Palestinian youths who threw stones at troops in several towns and villages in the occupied West Bank on Friday (February 6).
An Israeli spokesman said forces used riot dispersal means to deter Palestinians who hurled stones at forces across the territory.
In the village of Nilin, west of the city of Ramallah, scores of Palestinians attended Muslim Friday prayers and later youths threw stones at forces guarding the route of Israel's controversial barrier. Israeli troops fired tear gas at Palestinians.
Nilin is a frequent flashpoint between Israeli forces and Palestinians protesting the building of the separation barrier.
Israel has said the barrier, a mix of electronic fences and walls that encroaches on West Bank territory, is meant to keep suicide bombers out of its cities. Palestinians call the barrier -- the course of which encompasses Israeli settlements in the West Bank -- a disguised move to annex or fragment territory Palestinians seek for a viable state.
In the West Bank town of Hebron, Palestinians hurled stones at Israeli soldiers and the forces fired tear gas from a roof of a building in town.
In the village of Jaayous, dozens of Palestinians hurled stones at Israeli soldiers and villagers shouted at the forces to leave. Forces shot tear gas canisters and stun grenades.
Israeli army said one Palestinian was lightly wounded during the clashes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None