- Title: WEST BANK: Christian worshippers in Bethlehem hold first Sunday of Advent mass
- Date: 29th November 2010
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (NOVEMBER 28, 2010) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF CHURCH OF NATIVITY, REVERED AS JESUS' BIRTHPLACE NUNS WALKING TOWARD CHURCH TO ATTEND ADVENT SUNDAY MASS VARIOUS OF STATUE OUTSIDE CHURCH FATHER PIERBATTISTA PIZZABALLA, CUSTODIAN OF THE HOLY LAND, ENTERING CHURCH CLOSE OF CROSS FATHER PIZZABALLA WALKING THROUGH CHURCH VARIOUS OF WORSHIPPERS ATTENDING MASS FATHER PIZZABALLA LEADING MASS VARIOUS OF CROSSES IN CHURCH VARIOUS OF PIZZABALLA LEADING MASS WORSHIPPERS DURING MASS PAINTED GLASS WINDOW FATHER PIZZABALLA LEADING MASS MORE OF MASS IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 14th December 2010 12:00
- Location: Palestinian Territory, Occupied
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Religion
- Reuters ID: LVA79CVT9XWOCELRJV7QB2N9GSIK
- Story Text: Custodian of the Holy Land, Father Pierbattista Pizzaballa leads first Advent Sunday mass at Bethlehem's Church of Nativity.
Father Pierbattista Pizzaballa, Custodian of the Holy Land, led the first Advent Mass on Sunday (November 28), marking the start of Christmas season.
Worshippers gathered at the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, revered as Jesus' birthplace, to attend the festive mass.
The word "Advent" means "coming" or "arrival". It marks the beginning of the season of celebration of the birth of Jesus.
The "Customs" or Custodian of the Holy Land is the Pope's envoy to the Middle East. He is the major superior of the friars in the Palestinian territories, as well as in
Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon, Cyprus and Rhodes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None