- Title: WEST BANK: Israeli troops raid Bethlehem to arrest a wanted Palestinian militant
- Date: 10th May 2007
- Summary: (W3) BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (MAY 10, 2007) (REUTERS) ISRAELI ARMOURED VEHICLES AND SOLDIERS SURROUNDING HOUSE VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS AROUND HOUSE
- Embargoed: 25th May 2007 13:00
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement,Defence / Military
- Reuters ID: LVA59IGX163SNCZ3PLQBSLQ42CVQ
- Story Text: Israeli troops raided the West Bank town of Bethlehem on Thursday (May 10) to arrest a top wanted Palestinian militant, local residents said.
They added that the Israeli soldiers were probably after 40-year-old Ahmed Danoun, a senior leader of the militant group of Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades in the West Bank. They said he was not found.
An Israeli army spokeswoman said the army was checking into the report.
Earlier on Thursday, a pregnant Palestinian woman was wounded and lost her baby during fighting between Israeli troops and militants in the occupied West Bank, local medical officials said.
Residents of Ain Beit Alma refugee camp in the town of Nablus said the woman, Maha Katoumi, 30, had been shot and wounded by Israeli soldiers who fired at militants attacking them with explosives.
Israel's military frequently carries out operations to detain wanted Palestinian militants in the West Bank whom it says were involved in attacks against Israelis or planning new ones.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None