- Title: WEST BANK: Bridal fashions combine Palestinian heritage and modern flair
- Date: 8th March 2011
- Summary: EXHIBITION WHERE PALESTINIAN COMPANIES AND SHOP SHOW THEIR PRODUCTS FOR WEDDING CEREMONIES VARIOUS OF WEDDING CARD EXHIBIT VARIOUS OF WEDDING FLOWERS AND WEDDING HALL EXHIBIT VARIOUS OF BRIDAL MAKE UP EXHIBIT PEOPLE WALKING UP STAIRS VARIOUS OF SIGN WITH PICTURE OF BRIDE AND GROOM READING IN ARABIC AND ENGLISH: "Bride and groom Movenpick Hotel Ramallah wedding fair 2011"
- Embargoed: 23rd March 2011 12:00
- Location: West bank, West bank
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAEL1W33S4Y7X6KDN7D83WO5CGM
- Story Text: Italian based fashion designer Jamal Taslaq showed off his latest collection in the West Bank city of Ramallah on Friday (March 4).
Walking down the catwalk, models showed off the designs from the Palestinian-born designer's wedding collection.
The Italian models wore clothes that combined modern designs with Palestinian heritage, including the colours of the Palestinian flag.
"This is my dream. My new designs are made of white and black colours, which shows the colour of Palestine... black and white, good and bad and hope. The two colours are opposite each other but together will show that this land is calling for freedom and peace. I wanted to show this through my own designs," Taslaq told reporters in news conference.
Althought the designer is of Palestinian origin, he studied in Italy, where he is now based. He focusses on luxury garments, evening wear and bridal collections.
Inspiration for his recent collection came from Palestinian history and traditions, which was evident in his choice of backdrop and colour palette which included red, green, white and black.
"In my work in Italy and my shows in Europe, I use Palestinian embroidery but in a modern way, in a way that is related to the international audience. We should not forget our history, the past is the beginning of the future," he added.
The show, which featured some forty designs by Taslaq, took place at Ramallah's new Movenpick Hotel during the Bride and Groom wedding fair.
The wedding fair, one of the largest trade shows of its kind in the West Bank. The four-day event offered the latest in bridal fashions and feature fashion shows by some of the Palestinian designers of bridal wear, ahead of the start of the wedding season during the spring and summer months.
The fair, which is sponsored by the Italian Consulate-General and the Palestinian Ministry of Culture,on March 6.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None