- Title: WEST BANK: Barrier protesters in scuffles with Israeli military
- Date: 26th December 2008
- Summary: UM SLAMONA, WEST BANK (DECEMBER 26, 2008) (REUTERS) ISRAELI SOLDIER WATCHING PROTESTERS WALKING TOWARDS HIM PROTESTERS CARRYING BANNERS AND PLACARDS LED BY MAN DRESSED AS SANTA CLAUS WOMAN DRESSED AS BRIDE WALKING BETWEEN ISRAELI ARMY JEEPS ISRAELI SOLDIER PUSHING MAN ACCOMPANYING BRIDE PROTESTER - GROOM CARRIED ON SHOULDERS OF OTHER PROTESTERS SOLDIER BLOCKING BRIDE AND ESCORT WIDE OF PROTEST SOLDIERS PUSHING BRIDE AND OLDER WOMAN ISRAELI SOLDIER TALKING TO PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SPEAKING WITH SOLDIERS DEMONSTRATORS CLAPPING AND SINGING IN FRONT OF BARBED WIRE PROTESTER DRESSED AS SANTA CLAUS IN FRONT OF SOLDIER SOLDIER PUSHING BACK BRIDE WIDE OF PROTEST, SMOKE BEHIND PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SINGING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS DRESSED AS BRIDE AND GROOM BARBED WIRE BETWEEN DEMO AND SOLDIERS BRIDE AND GROOM VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS ARRESTING TWO PROTESTERS ARRESTED PROTESTER BEING PUT INTO BACK OF ISRAELI MILITARY VEHICLE AS REAR DOORS ARE CLOSED
- Embargoed: 10th January 2009 12:00
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA8R3OCEC0TXXFD8234H6H5Z640
- Story Text: Israeli soldiers scuffled on Friday (December 26) with demonstrators protesting the building of the separation barrier being built in the occupied West Bank.
Protesters attempted to stage a wedding at the barrier, complete with a bride wearing a white wedding dress. Israeli soldiers prevented the wedding from taking place arresting at least two of the protesters and pushing the bride away.
Palestinians condemn the barrier as a major obstacle to any peace accord. Israel is building the 790-km-long (490-mile) network of fences and walls along the West Bank, which it hopes to have completed by 2010.
Israel says the barrier prevents Palestinian suicide bombings which in the past have killed hundreds of its citizens.
The World Court in 2004 branded the barrier, which Palestinians consider a land grab, as illegal. The United States, patron of peace talks between Olmert and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, has called the project "unhelpful". Israel says that the project could be re-routed if there is peace. But Israel also says it will keep all of Jerusalem, along with Jewish settlement blocs in the West Bank, under any accord.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None