- Title: WEST BANK: Palestinians clash with Israeli soldiers in the West Bank
- Date: 3rd May 2010
- Summary: BEIT JALA, WEST BANK (MAY 2, 2010) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS HOLDING PALESTINIAN FLAGS, CHANTING SLOGANS AND MARCHING PROTESTERS STANDING NEAR FENCE PALESTINIAN FLAG VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS FIRING TEAR GAS CANISTERS TOWARD PROTESTERS PROTESTERS HURLING STONES SOLDIER FIRING TEAR GAS CANISTERS SMOKE BILLOWING VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS HURLING STONES TOWARDS ISRAELI ARMY JEEP YOUTH THROWING STONES/ ARMY JEEP PARAMEDICS EVACUATING INJURED YOUTH MORE OF CLASHES VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN SECURITY FORCES EVACUATING PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS FROM AREA
- Embargoed: 18th May 2010 13:00
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA522ESQLY9SMGNSNVZHFENPWJV
- Story Text: Scores of Palestinian and international activists clashed with Israeli security forces on Sunday (May 2) during a demonstration against Israel's continued construction of the West Bank separation barrier.
At the barrier construction site near the village of Beit Jala, Israeli forces shot tear gas canisters as Palestinian youths hurled stones toward them.
Eye witnesses said two protesters were injured and one cameraman was hit in the head by an aluminium tear-gas projectile. The cameraman was taken unconscious from the site.
An Israeli army spokesperson said that approximately 150 Palestinians were hurling rocks at security forces, who responded with riot dispersal means.
Israel began building its barrier of fences and walls at the height of the Palestinian uprising that began in 2000, and it now runs along most of the West Bank border, encroaching at many points onto Palestinian territory.
The International Court of Justice, in a non-binding decision in 2004, said the barrier was illegal and should be taken down because it crossed occupied territory.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None