- Title: WEST BANK: Palestinian Christians re-enact Last Supper in Bethlehem
- Date: 22nd April 2011
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (APRIL 21, 2011) (REUTERS) ( ** BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF NATIVITY CHURCH AHEAD OF HOLY THURSDAY RE ENACTMENT CEREMONY OF THE LAST SUPPER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SISTER RIMONDE, SAYING: "The washing of the feet is Jesus' message of purity from, because faith is premised on innocence, on the purity of the conscience. The more the person is pure, the more humble he will is." VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN CHRISTIANS SITTING IN CHURCH DURING SERVICE
- Embargoed: 7th May 2011 13:00
- Location: West bank, West bank
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Religion
- Reuters ID: LVA91S61WVFES1VD1X8ZOHAT0616
- Story Text: Palestinian Christians marked Holy (Maundy) Thursday on (April 21), in the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Jesus' birthplace, three days ahead of Easter.
According to Christian tradition, Jesus washed the feet of his twelve disciples prior to the Last Supper before he was crucified.
"The washing of the feet is Jesus' message of purity from, because faith is premised on innocence, on the purity of the conscience. The more the person is pure, the more humble he will is," sister Rimonde told Reuters Television from the Nativity Square.
Christian churches world-wide commemorate this event on Thursday - known as Maundy Thursday - as part of Easter Holy Week celebrations. The washing is usually done by the highest ranking clergyman as they emulate Jesus' act.
The mass was attended by dozens, most of them local Palestinian Christians, as well as pilgrims from all over the world.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None