- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: Ban on smoking comes into effect in England
- Date: 1st July 2007
- Summary: (W1) LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 30, 2007) (REUTERS) MEMBERS OF THE NAVAL AND MILITARY CLUB HAVING DINNER WOMAN SMOKING CIGAR WIDE OF DINNER TABLE MAN SMOKING CIGAR VARIOUS OF DINNER
- Embargoed: 16th July 2007 13:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: General,Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA12ZPAOUHWE834GZ0WLNSE5NKD
- Story Text: A ban on smoking in public places comes into effect in England, spelling an end to drinkers having a cigarette or a cigar with their drink in pubs, bars and clubs.
England is the final part of the UK to introduce a ban, after Wales and Northern Ireland in April and Scotland last March. The Republic of Ireland made the move three years ago.
Virtually all enclosed public places are now smokefree; this includes offices, warehouses, factories, pubs, cafes, railway stations, working vehicles and leisure centres.
Owners and managers of pubs, clubs and cafes are legally bound to enforce the ban and face fines if they fail to do so.
For some clubs it will be hard to shake of the tradition of socialising and enjoying a smoke. The Naval and Military club in London is one of the oldest clubs in England dating back to 1862. For it's members the moment July 1 arrived was greeted with sombre faces and the sound of a lone bugler. Led outside in silence members will now have to battle with the great British weather in order to enjoy a smoke.
" I think the problem with us here and indeed with any other club is not so much the fact that we can't smoke, it's where we will be able to smoke in substitution", member of the club Simon Kaplan said.
According to the British department of health, the new law is being introduced to protect employees and the public from the harmful effects of second-hand smoke .
The department has recently launched a wide campaign to bring the smoking ban to the public awareness. The far-reaching campaign has included banners on public transport and advertisements on television, radio and the internet.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None