- Title: ISRAEL: Palestinian kills one Israeli in West Bank stabbing attack
- Date: 23rd October 2008
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) SHAHAR AYALON, DEPUTY JERUSALEM CHIEF OF POLICE, SAYING: "This morning a Palestinian suspect stabbed a policeman when he was checked near a school. The Palestinian, after he stabbed the policeman, was shot by the policeman. He ran away, and on the way, he stabbed a civilian." POLICEMEN NEAR SCENE OF STABBING CHECKING IDENTIFICATION PAPERS OF A MAN
- Embargoed: 7th November 2008 12:00
- Location: Israel
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement
- Reuters ID: LVAC71AF01X3C5OSFPMN6M7BBUUL
- Story Text: A Palestinian stabbed and killed an Israeli civilian and wounded a policeman in a Jewish settlement near Jerusalem on Thursday (October 23), police said.
The attacker was shot and wounded by the policeman he had stabbed, and was later taken to hospital.
The incident occurred in the settlement of Gilo, in the occupied West Bank, near Jerusalem.
A Police spokesman said two police officers on patrol in Gilo had stopped an Arab man for questioning on the street. The man then pulled out a knife and stabbed one of them.
"This morning a Palestinian suspect stabbed a policeman when he was checked near a school. The Palestinian, after he stabbed the policeman, was shot by the policeman. He ran away, and on the way, he stabbed a civilian," Shahar Ayalon, Deputy Police Chief of Jerusalem, told Reuters.
The passer-by, a 60 year old Israeli man, died of his wounds in hospital, police said.
The Magen David ambulance service said the Palestinian attacker and the policeman sustained moderate injuries.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack in Gilo, built on land that Israel captured in the 1967 Middle East war and considers to be a neighbourhood of Jerusalem.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None