- Title: WEST BANK: Qalandiya refugee camp mourns Palestinian protester
- Date: 29th November 2013
- Summary: QALANDIYA REFUGEE CAMP, WEST BANK (NOVEMBER 29, 2013) (REUTERS) FUNERAL PROCESSION KICKS OFF AFTER FRIDAY PRAYERS MASKED MEN SHOOTING THEIR RIFLES IN THE AIR MEN AT FUNERAL MORE OF MASKED GUNMEN FIRING THEIR RIFLES IN THE AIR TOP VIEW OF FUNERAL PROCESSION MEN AT FUNERAL CHANTING DEAD MAN BEING CARRIED BY MEN DURING FUNERAL PROCESSION FUNERAL PASSING BY MEN WALKING IN FUNERAL PROCESSION MORE OF FUNERAL FUNERAL WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 14th December 2013 12:00
- Location: West bank
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA9DTAQDPLC82YHWMP001BJ2PMA
- Story Text: Heavy gunfire at funeral procession of 24-year-old Mahmoud Awwad, shot by Israeli army troops in August
Thousands of residents of the tightly-packed camp took part funeral procession for 24-year-old Mahmoud Awwad, took place in the narrow alleyways fo the Qalandiya refugee camp in the West Bank on Friday (November 29).
A dozen masked men opened fire in the air as the funeral marched from the mosque to the entrance of the camp, before the body was carried for burial.
Awwad had died after sustaining a bullet wound to the head in August 26 when an Israeli army raided the refugee camp and shot and killed three Palestinian men from the camp.
Medical officials said that he had been receiving treatement in an Israeli hospital after falling into a coma.
Israeli border police said they entered the Qalandiya camp, near Jerusalem, to arrest a man and were confronted by a crowd throwing firebombs and rocks.
An Israeli military spokeswoman confirmed that troops had been shot at and returned fire in self-defence. She added that the forces arrested the man they had come to detain.
Israeli troops often enter Palestinian-controlled territory to detain people suspected of planning attacks, usually conducting the raids during darkness to minimize confrontation.
Violence in the West Bank has worsened since the beginning of 2013.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None