- Title: WEST BANK: Clashes break out in volatile West Bank city of Hebron
- Date: 13th June 2006
- Summary: (BN06) HEBRON, WEST BANK (JUNE 13, 2006) (REUTERS) JEWISH SETTLERS CLASHING WITH ISRAELI POLICE AND SOLDIERS, YOUNG BOY BEING CARRIED AWAY WOMAN ARGUING WITH POLICE YOUNG BOY SETTLERS BEING CARRIED AWAY BY POLICE POLICE IN COURTYARD MALE SETTLER ARGUING WITH POLICE
- Embargoed: 28th June 2006 13:00
- Topics: Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA3CV42PE0WLKKN7HJXPEJO3FSZ
- Story Text: Jewish settlers clashed with Israeli police and soldiers on Tuesday morning (June 13) in the West Bank city of Hebron.
Witnesses said some 50 settlers broke into a Palestinian charity shop, destroying a door and throwing water at Palestinian houses.
Settlers also attempted to enter the Avraham Avinu neighbourhood of the city which is currently off limits to them after an evacuation of the area by Israel. Soldiers built a barrier in the area to keep settlers out, but dozens stormed the area and had to be forcibly removed by Israeli security forces.
The clashes broke out in the Sharbati neighbourhood near Avraham Avinu which is in the heart of the volatile West Bank city.
Hebron is arguably the most volatile of the West Bank cities and has a high security presence to prevent outbreaks of violence between its Jewish and Arab residents.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None