- Title: WEST BANK: Palestinians begin preparing for Eid Al-Adha
- Date: 10th January 2006
- Summary: MV PALESTINIANS BUYING FOOD FOR EID AL-ADHA FEAST; SLV CHILDREN IN STREET BOY LIGHTING FIRE-CRACKER; MAN PLAYING MUSICAL INSTRUMENT; PEOPLE SHOPPING (VARIOUS)
- Embargoed: 25th January 2006 12:00
- Topics: Religion
- Reuters ID: LVA12CJYUJ9VOF8CTS523E4E84A1
- Story Text: Palestinians in the West Bank town of Hebron began
preparing on Monday night (January 9) for the Eid Al-Adha
Eid Al-Adha, which will be celebrated on Tuesday
(January 10), is a feast of sacrifice and is the most
important feast of the Muslim calendar.
It concludes the pilgrimage to Mecca, known as Hajj,
which is one of the five pillars of Islam to be undertaken
by all Muslim men who can afford to do so.
On Monday evening residents of Hebron took to the shops
to stock up on supplies for the Eid celebrations. Downtown
Hebron was filled with shoppers and men visited their local
barbers to groom themselves for the big feast.
Eid al-Adha lasts for three days and commemorates
Ibraham's (Abraham) willingness to obey God by sacrificing
his son, Ishmael (Isaac).
Ishmael is considered the forefather of the Arabs and
according to the Koranic tale, Ibrahim was about to
sacrifice his son when a voice from heaven stopped him and
allowed him to sacrifice a ram instead.
The feast, which will take place on Tuesday, re-enacts
Ibrahim's obedience by sacrificing a cow or ram. The family
eats about a third of the meal and donates the rest to the
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None