- Title: VARIOUS: Twenty-five banks fail Europe's "stress test"
- Date: 26th October 2014
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE) (REUTERS) DEXIA BANK BUILDING DEXIA SIGN ON BUILDING EIFFEL TOWER DUBLIN, IRELAND (FILE - NOVEMBER 17, 2010) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) PERMANENT TSB BANK SIGN WOMAN AT CASH MACHINE LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA (FILE - MAY 25, 2013) (REUTERS) PEOPLE IN SQUARE IN CENTRAL LJUBLJANA FOUNTAIN WITH EXTERIOR OF NOVA KREDITNA BANKA MARIBOR IN THE BACKGROUND SIGN READING NOVA KBM ON BUILDING NOVA LJUBLJANSKA BANKA (NLB) HEADQUARTERS NLB BANK FLAGS WAVING IN FRONT OF NLB HEADQUARTERS NLB BANK ENTRANCE
- Embargoed: 10th November 2014 12:00
- Location: Austria, Italy, Greece, Slovenia, France
- Country: Greece Austria Italy Slovenia France
- Topics: Finance
- Reuters ID: LVA5P9X8JBT9DB9JK89C6NLPPNA3
- Story Text: Roughly one in five of the euro zone's top lenders failed landmark health checks at the end of last year but most have since repaired their finances, the European Central Bank announced on Sunday (October 26).
Under a European Bank Authority (EBA) healthcheck, 24 banks fell short of a target to hold common equity of 5.5 percent or more of their risk-weighted assets under a stressed 3-year recession scenario, based on their balance sheets at the end of 2013.
Any bank falling short of that level needs to take action to get to that target, and the EBA said 14 banks still had work to do at the end of September 2014.
Another bank, Spain's Liberbank, narrowly passed the EBA's target but its capital starting point was deemed to have been below a target set by the European Central Bank for banks in the euro zone.
The following is a list of the 25 banks, which failed the EBA health checks:
AXA Bank Europe
Bank of Cyprus
Co-operative Central Bank
National Bank of Greece
Banca Monte dei Paschi
Banca Piccolo Credito Valtellinese
Banca Pop Dell'Emilia Romagna
Banca Pop di Milano
Banca Pop di Sondrio
Banca Pop di Vicenza
Banca Pop Societa Cooperativa
Banco Comercial Portugues
Nova Kreditna Banka Maribor
Nova Ljubljanska banka
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None