- Title: THAILAND: WEIRD FOOD CONVENTION HELD IN BANGKOK.
- Date: 6th April 2000
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (RECENT) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. MV: FOOD LOVERS GATHERING 0.05 2. CU: VARIOUS OF LIZARD/ WORMS IN BOXES (3 SHOTS) 0.19 3. CU: COCKROACHES IN BOTTLE 0.35 4. GV: AUDIENCES WATCHING THE GATHERING 0.41 5. GV: PARTICIPANT NARONG ON STAGE 0.46 6. MV/CU: VARIOUS NARONG EATING WORMS/ CLOSE UP WORMS IN NARONG'S HAND (3 SHOTS) 1.11 7. MV: AUDIENCE 1.15 8. CU: VARIOUS NARONG EATING LIZARD 1.36 9. GV/PAN: WIDE OF AUDITORIUM 1.48 10. CU/MCU: VARIOUS CIRCUS COMEDIAN WASSANA EATING WORMS (3 SHOTS) 2.43 11. MCU: BOY EATING HOTDOG WHILE WATCHING THE SHOW 2.53 12. MV/CU: VARIOUS WEK KHIEUKAIMUK EATING COCKROACH/COCKROACH BEING EATEN (3 SHOTS) 3.21 13. MCU: SOUNDBITE (Thai) COCKROACH LOVER, WEK KHIEUKAIMUK SAYING: "I eat cockroaches when I am tired from work. It refreshes me, people say the cockroaches are dirty but for me they are medicine to empower myself" 3.37 14. MV: CHILDREN WATCHING WEK EATING COCKROACH 3.41 15. SCU: CLOSEUP WEK EATING COCKROACH 3.56 16. CU: SOUNDBITE (Thai) WEK SAYING: "The cockroaches are rarely found around my place these days, they run away everytime they see me. Now I just don't know a good place to catch them easily" 4.07 17. CU: COCKROACHES IN BOTTLE 4.12 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 21st April 2000 13:00
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Reuters ID: LVAEL7RUG2KHUCTQLYPKJQHGMWKT
- Story Text: Gourmets with a taste for the exotic and the downright
weird have gathered in Thailand to indulge in their favourite
foods...with worms, lizards and cockroaches topping the menu.
It may look like an ordinary gathering of food lovers,
but this event in Thailand is anything but.
Normal delicacies like foie gras and truffles are
nowhere in sight - instead worms, lizards and cockroaches are
the order of the day.
This Thai department store decided to stage a convention
of weird food lovers to show that all creatures have their
place in the culinary repertoire.
And while many people may find the dishes on offer
repellent, participants say that nothing can beat the fresh
flavour of eating live lizards and cockroaches.
While in Thailand deep fried bugs are a favourite
delicacy, live cockroaches and worms are most definitely not a
part of the average menu.
Thirty-six-year old Narong comes from a farming family
in the north of Thailand.He's a keen devotee of live worms
and has been eating them for breakfast ever since he was a
boy, after seeing his family cook and eat silk worms at home.
He is also partial to tiny house lizards, which he says
go down best at the end of the day as a supper dish.
An enthralled audience watched the food lovers chomp
their way through dozens of worms, lizards and insects.
Circus comedian Wassana enjoys the soft texture of worms
- wrapped up in a banana to complement the flavour.
Wassana's father encouraged his daughter to eat worms
when she fell sick several years ago.
But the participant who raised most eyebrows among the
squeamish was Wek Khieukaimuk.His favourite plat du jour?
Cockroaches - that seemingly indestructible house-pest.
He says eating cockroaches makes him strong.
"I eat cockroaches when I am tired from work, it
refreshes me, people say the cockroaches are dirty but for me
they are medicine to empower myself," Wek said.
Wek said he prefers to chew cockroaches to extract their
full flavour.But his penchant for the insects has sent his
home-supply scurrying for cover.
"The cockroaches are rarely found around my place these
days, they run away everytime when they see me.Meanwhile I
just don't know a good place to catch them easily.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None