- Title: WEST BANK: ARMY GETS HELP FROM HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS.
- Date: 11th March 1975
- Summary: 1. GV Israeli defence forces working on hillside 0.10 2. SV School children erecting posts for barbed wire 0.26 3. SV School girls carrying barbed wire 0.34 4. CU Israeli soldier hammering iron wedge into ground 0.42 5. CU PAN FROM Soldier tying barbed wire TO children reeling out wire 0.56 6. SV & CU Israeli soldier fixing barbed-wire fence and instructing schoolgirl (2 shots) 1.10 7. GV Barbed-wire barrier around hillside 1.18 8. GV Army workshop with truck 1.28 9. LV & CU Students working on army vehicles (4 shots) 1.46 10. GV PAN INT Workshed 1.54 11. SV CAN working on jeep 1.57 12. GV PAN Lorry leaving workshop followed by armoured car 2.08 Initials BB/1713 FC/AW/BB/1525 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 26th March 1975 13:00
- Location: WEST BANK OF THE JORDAN
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Reuters ID: LVACK8TW2CINQHPYQ9IV3GUI47E
- Story Text: Israeli high school students have volunteered to work in army workshops and help in civil defence patrols on the Israeli-occupied West Bank of the Jordan.
Boys from technical high schools do any available job including repairing jeeps and tanks. And boys from regular high schools help in civil-defence anti-guerrilla patrols or work on less skilled jobs such as fencing in "sensitive areas".
Eighth-grade pupils have for many years done their "National Service" stint before leaving school. In the past, however, their service was restricted to helping in the harvest and teaching now immigrants Hebrew.
This is the first year that they have become more involved. Their work has received high praise from the army, which said the students were doing the jobs of well-paid workers with more enthusiasm than their paid counterparts.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None