- Title: MALAWI: DR. BANDA ADDRESSES GATHERING OF THOUSANDS AT LILONGWE.
- Date: 9th June 1966
- Summary: Dancers; drummer; Banda speaking; Zambian Affairs Minister, Mainza Chona, and Lands Minister, A.G. Zulu. Initials GM/V/JF/BB Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 24th June 1966 13:00
- Location: LILONGWE, MALAWI
- Country: Malawi
- Reuters ID: LVA34GSAL3MKESRSVIFW5DVK831C
- Story Text: Dr. Hastings Banda, Prime Minister and President-elect of Malawi, this week ended a 12-day tour of Malawi's Central Region. During the tour he addressed a gathering of several thousand persons at the old airport in Lilongwe, which is to become Malawe's new capital.
Dr. Banda arrived in Lilongwe on 27 May and the following day opened the Kamuzu Dam at Malingunde. On 29 May he spoke at the old airport, commenting that each time went to Lilongwe, the welcoming crowds seemed to get larger. After seeing the crowd in front of him, he said, he said, he "gave up". A feature of his speech was an appeal for unity, which he said was needed to fight ignorance, poverty and disease.
Colourfully-clad dancers at the rally gave the first public performance of the 'Gule Wamkulu' - initiation dances of the Achewa people who inhabit the Central Region.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None