- Title: USA: NEW YORK: DR. BANDA AT NEWS CONFERENCE
- Date: 15th April 1960
- Summary: 1. GV EXT National press building. 0.05 2. NEARER V..Ditto. 0.08 3. TOP V Gathering applaud. 0.12 4. SCU Banda gets up to speak. 0.16 5. CU Banda talks. 0.21 6. LV People listen. 0.24 7. SV Banda talks. 0.28 8. LV People listen. 0.32 9. CU Banda talks. 0.41 Initials JRG/S/AHS/PB EDITORS: 2263/60 refers. Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 30th April 1960 13:00
- Location: New York, USA
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA8X8ABT46AIINZJVEWJRI81LDP
- Story Text: Dr. Hastings Banda, prominent Nyasaland negro leader, released from 13 months custody by the Federation Government Apr. 1, now in the U.S. for speaking engagements and conference with State Department officials, told a news conference in New York Apr. 13 he saw no hope of a peaceful settlement of difference between Africans and White settlers in South Africa.
"If every African in South Africa refuses to work for the white man, the whole life there will collapse," he said. He said his homeland is determined to establish self-government. Nyasaland now is joined with Southern and Northern Rhodesia in the Central African Federation. "We want to secede," he said. "We don't want Federation."
Later at an African freedom day rally in New York. Dr. Banda said the Union of South Africa's apartheid policy was the "political and social cancer of the world."
"It must be treated as a cancer...and you know what is done to that" he added.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None