- Title: YUGOSLAVIA: ALBANIAN YOUTHS SET FIRE TO SERBIAN PROPERTY IN GRACANIA.
- Date: 29th July 1999
- Summary: GRACANICA, KOSOVO, YUGOSLAVIA (JULY 27, 1999) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/MV: BRITISH KFOR SOLDIERS GUARDING SERBIAN CHURCH (6 SHOTS) 0.36 2. GV/MV: HOUSE BURNING, PEOPLE OUTSIDE (10 SHOTS) 1.35 3. GV/MV: BRITISH KFOR SOLDIERS ARRIVING, TALKING TO SERB WOMAN/ TELLING YOUTHS TO GO AWAY 1.59 4. GV/PAN: BRITISH KFOR SOLDIERS WARNING YOUTHS THAT THEY WILL "COME AFTER THEM" IF ANY HARM SHOULD COME TO SERB WOMAN 2.10 5. GV/MV: BRITISH KFOR SOLDIERS RETRIEVING MACHINE GUN FROM HOUSE OF SERB WOMAN (2 SHOTS) 2.27 6. CU: (SOUNDBITE) (English) YOUTH EXPLAINING THAT THE WOMAN IS THE MOTHER OF A MEMBER OF THE SERBIAN SPECIAL POLICE WHO HAS SINCE RETURNED TO SERBIA, BUT WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATHS OF MANY ETHNIC ALBANIANS 3.02 7. GV/MV: BRITISH KFOR POLICE LEAVING/ YOUTHS (4 SHOTS) 3.25 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 13th August 1999 13:00
- Location: GRACANICA, KOSOVO, YUGOSLAVIA
- Country: Yugoslavia
- Reuters ID: LVA9MDX1FN3AZ0Z4140B6KLFQ2XF
- Story Text: KFOR troops patroling in the Kosovo town of Gracanica
on Tuesday (July 27) dispersed a crowd of Albanian youths
threatening to burn down the house of a Serbian woman whose
son was a former member of the special police.
The KFOR soldiers arrived too late to prevent an arson
attack on a neighbouring property, but managed to prevent the
youths from setting the woman's house ablaze.
"If she gets hurt tonight I will be looking for some of
you people" one KFOR soldier told the youths as they continued
to gather around the building.
The KFOR soldiers retrieved an automatic weapon from the
woman's home, and left a guard unit at the site before
dispersing the crowd.
One of the ethnic Albanians, later said they had set
fire to the house because it was owned by an old lady whose
son was also a Serbian policeman.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None