- Title: ITALY: INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON AID TO ALBANIA
- Date: 31st July 1997
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (JULY 31, 1997) (RTV) 1. LV EXTERIOR FOREIGN MINISTRY/SECURITY VEHICLE (2 SHOTS) 0.09 2. SLV ORGANISATION FOR SECURITY AND COOPERATION IN EUROPE (OSCE), ALBANIAN MEDIATOR FRANZ VRANITSKY ARRIVING 0.18 3. MV ALBANIAN SOCIALIST PARTY LEADER FATOS NANO ARRIVING 0.25 4. SCU SECURITY/ALBANIAN BASHKIM FINO ARRIVING (2 SHOTS) 0.35 5. SV ITALIAN FOREIGN MINISTER LAMBERTO DINI ARRIVING 0,41 6. SLV PAN ROUND TABLE, MINISTERS AT TALKS 0.50 7. SLV DINI, NANO AND VRANITSKY AT CONFERENCE (3 SHOTS) 1.01 8. MV MEDIA 1.04 9. SCU/SLV MINISTERS SEATED (2 SHOTS) 1.11 10. MV/SLV DINI, NANO AND VRANITSKY ENTER PRESS CONFERENCE 1.26 11. SCU CAMERAMAN 1.30 12. SCU NANO SAYING AN ALBANIA MADE UP OF A NEW POLITICAL MAJORITY AND MINORITY TOGETHER WITH THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY, THAT IS NOW SO CLOSE, AS ROME IS SO CLOSE TO TIRANA, WILL MOVE FORWARD BECOMING IN A SHORT TIME A NORMAL EUROPEAN COUNTRY LIKE ALL THE OTHERS.'(ITALIAN) 1.57 13. SLV PRESS CONFERENCE 2.00 14. SCU VRANITSKY SAYING I THINK THAT A VERY IMPORTANT STEP THAT HAS BEEN TAKEN HERE TODAY IN ROME. HOW WILL WE CONTINUE NOW. NOT ONLY TO WRITE DOWN THE HEADLINES THE BUT TO FILL THE FRAMEWORK WITH SUBSTANCE. THE RECONSTRUCTION OF THE POLICE FORCE, THE ARMY, COMMERCE, FINANCIAL SYSTEM AND THE CONSTITUTION OF ALBANIA. THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY HAS SPOKEN UP AS FAR AS ALBANIA IS CONCERNED IN ONE LANGUAGE ONE VOICE ONE TONGUE AND THERE ARE NO DEVIATIONS AT ALL (ENGLISH) 2.51 15. SLV PRESS CONFERENCE 2.56 16. SV MEDIA 2.59 17. SLV MINISTERS LEAVE ROOM (2 SHOTS) 3.11 Initials S3 P3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 15th August 1997 13:00
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVA21VVXFA6UJ5PI8Y6YWNVFG1VU
- Story Text: - INTRO: Ministers and European representatives have gathered in Rome for an international donors' conference to discuss how to rebuild Albania's shattered economy after months of unrest.
Italian foreign minister Lamberto Dini, newly elected Albanian prime minister Fatos Nano and OSCE (Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe) Albania mediator Franz Vranitsky arrived at Italy's foreign ministry on Thursday (July 31).
The one-day talks were held in preparation for an international conference set for October on Albania's future.
The collapse of shaky investment pyramid schemes earlier this year swallowed the life savings of hundreds of thousands of Albanians, and triggered months of anarchy which led to the fall of the right-wing government of former President Sali Berisha.
Nano said an Albania made up of a new political majority and minority, together with the international community, was close, and Albania would move forward to become a normal European country.
Vranitsky said a very important step had been taken at the talks. He said Albania now needed to reconstruct its police force, army, commerce, financial systems and constitution.
The day-long meeting, attended by delegations from 35 countries and international organisations, will be followed by a larger conference on the future of Albania due to be held in Italy in the autumn.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None