- Title: SPAIN: GIRL BAND SPICE GIRLS FILM "SPICE WORLD" RELEASED
- Date: 18th December 1997
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (DECEMBER 18, 1997) (RTV) 1. LAS THE SPICE GIRLS COMING DOWN STAIRS/ SCU BEING PHOTOGRAPHED (2 SHOTS) 0.15 2. SCU THE SPICE GIRLS LEAVE AND PHOTOGRAPHERS BOO PAN TO PHOTOGRAPHERS 0.33 3. SLV THE SPICE GIRLS AT A NEWS CONFERENCE 0.34 4. SCU VICTORIA ADAMS (POSH SPICE) SPEAKING, SAYING "AT THE END OF THE DAY, WE ACTUALLY REALLY LIKE SPAIN. WE ARE HERE TO SEE OUR FANS THEY ARE THE PEOPLE WE COME TO SEE AND I MEAN IT IS GREAT, WE ALWAYS GET A FANTASTIC RECEPTION OUTSIDE THE HOTEL AND THAT IS WHAT MATTERS TO US." (ENGLISH) 0.50 5. SCU POSTER FOR SPICEWORLD THE MOVIE TILT DOWN TO SPICE GIRLS PRESS CONFERENCE (2 SHOTS) 1.00 6. MV GERI HALLIWELL (GINGER SPICE) WALKING UP TO REPORTERS DURING NEWS CONFERENCE/ HUGS JOURNALISTS (AUDIO OF PEOPLE LAUGHING) 1.14 7. SCU GIRL WITH TEARS IN HER EYES 1.20 8. SCU MEL CHISHOLM (SPORTY SPICE) SPEAKING SAYING "WE STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT EVERYBODY SHOULD STICK AND BELIEVE THEIR OWN OPINIONS. WE ARE STRONGER AND MORE DETERMINED THAN WE HAVE EVER BEEN. AS FAR AS STAYING POWER GOES, SO LONG AS OUR FANS AND THE PUBLIC WANT US THEN WE WILL BE AROUND MAKING MUSIC (ENGLISH) 1.47 9. SLV SPICE GIRLS LEAVE PRESS CONFERENCE 1.53 10. LV EXTERIOR OF CINEMA/ MV FANS WAITING / SCU FAN HOLDS UP SPICE GIRLS POSTER (4 SHOTS) 2.09 11. SLV THE SPICE GIRLS ARRIVE FOR THE PREMIERE/ GET OUT OF STRETCH LIMOUSINE 2.22 12. SCU CHEERING FANS (2 SHOTS) 2.31 13. SLV INTERIOR CINEMA/ THE SPICE GIRLS ON THE STAGE TELLING AUDIENCE TO ENJOY THE MOVIE/ THE SPICE GIRLS LEAVE (3 SHOTS) 2.56 Initials S2/3 P3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 2nd January 1998 12:00
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Reuters ID: LVA2Y0NMUNTB3PL6BK0PJO4ZVDXE
- Story Text: - INTRO: The Spice Girls' new film "Spice World" got a shaky launch in Spain when when one of the feisty five answered the boos of angry reporters with the taunts "Shut-up, Queer(".
"Callate, maricon", Geri Halliwell (Ginger Spice) shouted in Spanish at photographers and journalists who were jeering because they had been forced to sign documents giving the band the rights to pictures or video footage taken at the news conference on Thursday (December 18).
This is the second time in as many months that the all-girl band has clashed with the media in Spain.
They were booed off the stage at an entertainment award gala in Barcelona last month after telling a waiting press they could not take pictures of them for contractual reasons.
"We came here to see our fans, we always have a fantastic reception from fans in Spain and that's what matters to us," Victoria Adams (Posh Spice) declared to the news conference.
But Halliwell jumped up and started to plant kisses on the cheeks of the nearest journalists, saying the world needed love.
The girls describe "SpiceWorld", which opened to a lukewarm reception in Britain this week, as a humorous, if exaggerated, look at five days in the life of the Spice Girls in the lead up to a pop performance.
"We strongly believe everyone should stick to and believe their own opinions. We are stronger and more determined than we've ever been," said Mel Chisholm (Sporty Spice).
"As far as staying power goes...so long as our fans and the public wants us, then we'll be around making music," she added.
Only a handful of fans congregated in the rain outside the barred hotel gates to catch a glimpse of the band. But for one little girl burst into tears when she saw her idols.
After telling the audience to enjoy the film, the Spice Girls left the cinema.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None