- Title: YUGOSLAVIA: SERBIAN FORCES SHELL ETHNIC ALBANIAN VILLAGE OF NEKOVCE.
- Date: 2nd August 1998
- Summary: NEKOVCE, KOSOVO, YUGOSLAVIA (AUGUST 2, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV/ZOOM IN: SOUND OF CANNON BEING FIRED FROM SERB POSITION AND IMPACTING ON GROUND BEHIND HOUSE/ DUST RISING 0.18 2. GV/PAN/TRACK: REFUGEES WITH CHILDREN RUNNING DOWN THE STREET CRYING (2 SHOTS) 0.40 3. GV: SMOKE FROM SHELLING 0.46 4. GV: FARMERS WITH CATTLE RUNNING DOWN ROAD 0.55 5. GV: OLD MAN WITH WALKING STICK TRYING TO TAKE COVER 1.01 6. GV/MV/CU: HORSE AND CART/ FAMILY SHELTERING IN HOUSE 200 METRES AWAY FROM IMPACT (7 SHOTS) 1.38 7. LV: DUST RISING FROM FOREST AFTER CANNON IMPACT 1.46 NEKOVCE, KOSOVO, YUGOSLAVIA (RECENT) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 8. GV/PAN/CU/MV: FOREST ABOVE VILLAGE/ REFUGEES TAKING REFUGE IN FOREST (4 SHOTS) 2.08 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 17th August 1998 13:00
- Location: NEKOVCE, KOSOVO, YUGOSLAVIA
- Country: Yugoslavia
- Reuters ID: LVA9SLW13PV19ZUBQOD0LLO9PTEI
- Story Text: Serbian forces have fired long-range cannons and mortars at the central Kosovo village of Nekovce sending some of the 5,000 terrified refugees hiding there scrambling for shelter.
The Serbians appeared to be targeting the fields and farm houses around the ethnic Albanian village, the reporters said.They saw one shell land in a field, just missing a two-storey home with refugees inside.
Journalists in the area said four or five rounds flew over their heads as they took cover in the centre of the village, caught in a crossfire between Serb forces and Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) fighters for the past few days.
Villagers said they had been under sporadic attack for a few days, caught in the middle of a Serbian-KLA front, but that no one had been killed.
Immediately after the shelling, people who had been walking around the village, including mothers with children, started to run panic-stricken for cover.One woman appeared to be hurt.
Reporters said they had earlier seen KLA fighters heading to a hill where the first detonation had occurred, in order to man positions.
Thousands of refugees have taken shelter in the forest above the village after fleeing thier houses after recent fighting in the area.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None