- Title: WEST BANK/JERUSALEM: YOUTHS AND SECURITY CONTINUE TO CLASH IN HEBRON.
- Date: 12th April 1997
- Summary: HEBRON, WEST BANK (APRIL 12, 1997 ) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV: PALESTINIAN YOUTHS THROWING STONES 0.07 2. GV: ISRAELI SOLDIERS ON PATROL 0.16 3. GV: MORE OF PALESTINIANS THROWING STONES AT ISRAELI TROOPS AND AT JEWISH ENCLAVE OF BIET HADDASSA/ TROOPS CHARGE (2 SHOTS) 0.38 4. GV: PALESTINIAN POLICE PUSHING PALESTINIANS BACK FROM CONFRONATION 0.59 5. MV: INJURED PALESTINIAN BEING CARRIED THROUGH STREET BY OTHERS 1.04 6. GV: ISRAELI TROOPS MOVING INTO POSITION AND FIRING 1.27 HAR HOMA, EAST JERUSALEM (APRIL 12, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 7. GV: HAR HOMA BUILDING SITE/ FLAGS (2 SHOTS) 1.38 8. GV/SV/MVU: PEACE ACTIVISTS PUTTING UP PHOTOGRAPHS AND LOOKING AT MAP (5 SHOTS) 2.00 9. GV: ISRAELI SOLDIERS GUARDING PROTEST 2.05 10. GV/LV: ISRAELI AND PALESTINIAN DEMONSTRATORS GATHERED AT HILLTOP (2 SHOTS) 2.12 11. GV: SIGN SAYING "WHY" 2.18 12. GV: VIEW OF SITE; CROSSES ERECTED AT SCENE (2 SHOTS) 2.32 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 27th April 1997 13:00
- Location: HEBRON, WEST BANK / HAR HOMA, EAST JERUSALEM
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Reuters ID: LVA7UFKG6KNJCEPPLHE63MX1AUPO
- Story Text: INTRO: Clashes with local youths and security in Hebron continue for a fifth successive day, leaving a Palestinian woman injured.
Meanwhile, several hundred Israeli and Palestinian peace activists have been protesting at the continued building works at the Jewsih settlement of Har Homa in East Jerusalem.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Dozens of Palestinian stone-throwers again battled Israeli troops on Saturday (April 12, 1997) in the West Bank town of Hebron. Palestinian youths hurled stones and rocks at Israeli soldiers patrolling the area near the Jewish neigbourhood of Beit Haddassa.
The troops responded with their own stone-throwing, accompanied by settlers who hurled rocks from their enclave, wounding a Palestinian woman.
Clashes have continued for the fifth consecutive day in Hebron since a Jewish settler shot dead a Palestinian shopkeeper on Tuesday. Soldiers have killed several Palestinians and wounded scores of others.
Israeli-Palestinian peacemaking plunged into crisis when Israel broke ground on a Jewish settlement in Arab East Jerusalem on March 18 and a Palestinian killed himself and three Israeli women at a Tel Aviv cafe in a March 21 explosion.
On Saturday (April 12), several hundred Israelis and Palestinians gathered at the site, called Har Homa, to protest at the construction work.
The protesters, some accompanied by children, called on the Israeli government to halt the construction.
Palestinians see the building as an attempt to pre-empt future talks on East Jerusalem's status. Israel says it can build where it likes in the city it calls its "eternal" capital.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None