- Title: ALBANIA: MORE ITALIAN TROOPS JOIN MULTINATIONAL SECURITY FORCE IN ALBANIA
- Date: 19th April 1997
- Summary: DURRES, ALBANIA (APRIL 19, 1997) (RTV A - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV SHIPS IN HARBOUR WITH ITALIAN MILITARY VEHICLES ON DECK (2 SHOTS) 0.10 2. LV/SV ITALIAN SOLDIERS BY DOCKED SHIPS (2 SHOTS) 0.20 3. LV/SV ITALIAN SOLDIERS MARCHING AS VEHICLES OFF SHIP (3 SHOTS) 0.36 4. SLV ITALIAN SOLDIER BY CONVOY 0.41 5. SLV ARMED ALBANIAN POLICEMAN NEAR SHIP 0.47 6. SV/LV MORE ITALIAN SOLDIERS AND VEHICLES OFF SHIP (4 SHOTS) 1.14 7. SLV ITALIAN SOLDIERS CHATTING TO ALBANIAN POLICEMEN 1.20 8. LV MORE ITALIAN MILITARY VEHICLES/ SV SOLDIER (2 SHOTS) 1.29 9. SCU UNIDENTIFIED ITALIAN OFFICER SAYING ABOUT 400 SOLDIERS HAVE DISEMBARKED AND THERE WILL ALSO BE FRENCH AND SPANISH FORCES (ITALIAN) 1.49 10. LV MORE ITALIAN MILITARY VEHICLES OFF SHIP (2 SHOTS) 2.03 Initials s3, p3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 4th May 1997 13:00
- Location: DURRES, ALBANIA
- Country: Albania
- Reuters ID: LVA9RTKVOMP16VGAOODP6K6Q1FZ0
- Story Text: INTRO: Another batch of Italian troops have arrived in Albania to join the multinational security force patrolling the troubled country.
Four hundred troops arrived in the port of Durres early on Saturday (April 19) to join their compatriots who have been arriving in the East European trouble-spot over the past fortnight.
More European soldiers were expected to arrive later in the day.
The troops and their military vehicles, arrived in a convoy of ships at the southern port. The Italian soldiers marched as the vehicles were driven off the ships.
Armed Albanian policemen watched the troops disembark before chatting amiably to the newly installed troops.
One Italian officer confirmed that about 400 soldiers had disembarked and that French and Spanish troops were expected soon.
On Friday (April 18) the first detachment of the multinational force to venture into Albania's rebel-controlled south, toured the port of Vlora (Vlore) Friday and met with rebel leaders.
Making sure the elections are fair will be a huge job for both the international force and the Albanian police. On Friday (April 18) the Albanian police force took delivery of one thousand flack jackets and one thousand uniforms from their Italian counterparts.
The United Nations (U.N.) were meanwhile making final preparations to distribute emergency food aid to hospitals and orphanages.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None