- Title: WEST BANK: POLICE EVACUATE PROTESTING SETTLERS FROM SANUR
- Date: 23rd August 2005
- Summary: (W2) SANUR SETTLEMENT, WEST BANK (AUGUST 23, 2005) (REUTERS) 1. VARIOUS OF TROOPS CARRYING SETTLER AWAY 0.11 2. WIDE OF SETTLERS PRAYING INSIDE SYNAGOGUE (SEEN THROUGH WINDOW) 0.16 3. SLV SETTLERS PRAYING BEHIND RAZOR WIRE 0.24 4. VARIOUS OF PRAYING SETTLERS 0.35 (BN10) SANUR SETTLEMENT, WEST BANK (AUGUST 23, 2005) (REUTERS) 5. WIDE OF SYNAGOGUE WITH TROOPS AROUND 0.45 6. CLOSE OF MAN SHOUTING FROM BEHIND BARS INSIDE SYNAGOGUE 0.52 7. SLV POLICE TALKING TO SETTLERS 0.58 8. VARIOUS OF POLICE CUTTING THE DOOR TO SYNAGOGUE WITH A CIRCULAR SAW 1.17 9. SLV PEOPLE INSIDE SYNAGOGUE BEHIND RAZOR WIRE 1.26 (W2) SANUR SETTLEMENT, WEST BANK (AUGUST 23, 2005) (REUTERS) 10. CLOSE OF METAL DOOR BEING CUT OFF WITH CIRCULAR SAW 1.37 11. SLV SETTLERS CRYING INSIDE SYNAGOGUE 1.44 12. VARIOUS OF SETTLER BEING CARRIED FROM SYNAGOGUE THROUGH CROWD 1.53 13. SLV SETTLERS BEHIND RAZOR WIRE 1.58 14. SLV TROOPS CARRYING AWAY ANOTHER SETTLER 2.06 (BN10) SANUR SETTLEMENT, WEST BANK (AUGUST 23, 2005) (REUTERS) 15. VARIOUS OF TORAH SCROLLS BEING CARRIED THROUGH CROWD 2.18 16. SLV POLICE LINKING ARMS AROUND CITADEL WITH SETTLERS ON ROOF 2.24 17. VARIOUS OF POLICE BREAKING DOWN DOOR OF CITADEL 2.35 18. VARIOUS OF SCREAMING WOMAN EVACUATED FROM CITADEL 2.57 19. VARIOUS OF POLICE CUTTING DOOR OF THE CITADEL WITH CIRCULAR SAW AND ENTERING 3.26 (W3) SANUR SETTLEMENT, WEST BANK (AUGUST 23, 2005) (REUTERS) 20. WIDE OF TROOPS ON CHERRY PICKER NEXT TO CITADEL 3.33 21. SLV SETTLER ON ROOF OF CITADEL SPEAKING THOUGH MEGAPHONE 3.39 22. VARIOUS OF SETTLERS BEING SPRAYED WITH WATER CANON BY TROOPS 4.03 23. VARIOUS OF CONTAINER BEING LIFTED ONTO ROOF 4.21 (BN10) SANUR SETTLEMENT, WEST BANK (AUGUST 23, 2005) (REUTERS) 24. VARIOUS OF MAN ARGUING WITH POLICE AS HE IS ABOUT TO BE EVACUATED FROM HIS HOUSE 4.30 25. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE BEING REMOVED FROM HOUSE 4.42 (W3) KEDUMIM, WEST BANK (AUGUST 23, 2005) (REUTERS) 26. VARIOUS OF POLICE RUNNING AFTER ANTI-DISENGAGEMENT PROTESTERS AT ROAD BLOCK/ SCUFFLES BETWEEN POLICE AND PROTESTORS 5.09 (W3) SANUR SETTLEMENT, WEST BANK (AUGUST 23, 2005) (REUTERS) 27. VARIOUS OF ISRAELI FLAG BEING TAKEN DOWN FROM ROOF OF CITADEL 5.23 28. SLV PEOPLE HOLDING FLAG AND SINGING 5.34 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 7th September 2005 13:00
- Location: SANUR SETTLEMENT AND KEDUMIM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Reuters ID: LVADNQQ8H8PU40ELG6I11KM2G6WS
- Story Text: Settlers in Sanur struggle with police and army as evacuation is
Israel completed the evacuation of the West Bank settlements of
Sanur and Homesh on Tuesday (August 23, 2005), police said, completing the removal
of settlers under Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's plan for withdrawing from some
Forces earlier smashed their way into the settlement of Sanur and
dragged away ultrarightist Jews who had dug in for a last stand.
Police stormed a synagogue and a citadel that had been fortified by
radicals. They used circular saws to cut through metal bars that were blocking
Some settlers were carried away. Others screamed at the Israeli forces
who were evicting them.
Settlers barricaded themselves on the roof the citadel before troops
used a sledge hammer to smash their way in.
In the face of threatened violent resistance, security forces had
dispensed with extended negotiations used in Gaza and moved swiftly on
radicals hunkered down in Sanur as well as Homesh, where settlers were also
Before police declared the operation complete, they used a water canon
to disperse settlers who'd barricaded themselves on the roof of citadel. They
then used a modified shipping container to lower last holdouts to the
Israel began its withdrawal last week from all 21 settlements in the
occupied Gaza Strip and four of the 120 in the West Bank.
The evacuation, from land Palestinians want for a state, was completed
well ahead of schedule. Despite widespread resistance from settlers and
ultranationalist Jews, there has been little serious violence.
Sharon's U.S.-backed "disengagement plan" marks the first
uprooting of settlers from land captured by Israel in the 1967 Middle East war
and which Palestinians want for a future state. Diplomats hope the pullout
will revive Middle East peace talks.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None