- Title: Dozens in Damascus, Istanbul condemn U.S. strike on Syria
- Date: 8th April 2017
- Summary: DAMASCUS, SYRIA (APRIL 8, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS CHANTING IN SUPPORT OF SYRIAN PRESIDENT BASHAR AL-ASSAD DEMONSTRATORS CHANTING, CONDEMNING U.S. STRIKE ON SYRIA MAN HOLDING PLACARD READING (English): "US HANDS OFF #SYRIA" VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS CHANTING, CONDEMNING U.S. STRIKE ON SYRIA (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DEMONSTRATOR, AMANI ASHOUR, SAYING: "All chemical weapons were destroyed in 2014 when the (United Nations) monitors came and proved Syria was clear of chemical weapons. They hit us with the excuse of the chemical weapons and we do not have any. They destroyed Iraq and killed millions with the excuse of chemical weapons." WOMAN HOLDING PLACARD READING (English): "The scenario of Iraq will not be repeated; this is Syria Assad." DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING AND CHANTING U.N. FLAG HANGING FROM BUILDING / MAN LOOKING ON DEMONSTRATORS STANDING OUTSIDE BUILDING, HOLDING PLACARDS CONDEMNING U.S. STRIKE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DEMONSTRATOR, SUHAIR MAHMOUD, SAYING: "As much as they have already done, we will remain steadfast - steadfast, steadfast." VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATION / PEOPLE CHANTING AND HOLDING PLACARDS YOUNG GIRL AT DEMONSTRATION DEMONSTRATION ISTANBUL, TURKEY (APRIL 8, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIORS OF U.S. CONSULATE U.S. FLAG PROTESTERS MARCHING, CHANTING (Turkish): "YANKEE GO HOME" POLICEMEN MOUNTING SECURITY BEHIND FENCES PROTESTERS MARCHING, CHANTING (Turkish): "MURDERER UNITED STATES, COLLABORATOR AKP" POLICEMEN STANDING BEHIND FENCES MEMBER OF TURKISH COMMUNIST PARTY (TKP), IRMAK ILDIR, MAKING STATEMENT TO PROTESTERS PROTESTERS CHANTING (Turkish): "YANKEE GO HOME" (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) MEMBER OF TURKISH COMMUNIST PARTY (TKP), IRMAK ILDIR, SAYING: "This is clearly a provocation. It is noteworthy that this chemical attack emerged after Syria's legitimate government achieved victory against jihadist gangs and terrorist organisations. We see this (strike) as a tool to pave way for an invasion in the region by the United States and other imperialist forces just like what happened in Iraq and Yugoslavia." PROTESTERS CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) MEMBER OF TURKISH COMMUNIST PARTY (TKP), ANIL CEVIK, SAYING: "A U.S. strike in the region is not a surprising development for us. They have had eyes on this region for years. Even though they are not directly involved, they have been in war in this region with the AK Party government and with the jihadist gangs they had been supporting, arming and educating for years." SIGN FOR U.S. CONSULATE / PROTESTERS DEMONSTRATING PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 22nd April 2017 16:04
- Keywords: Turkey Syria Istanbul Damascus protest anti-U.S. chemical weapons sarin gas Bashar al-Assad Donald Trump
- Location: DAMSCUS, SYRIA / ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: DAMSCUS, SYRIA / ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BJDXZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters in Damascus and Istanbul took to the streets on Saturday (April 8) to condemn a U.S. strike on a military air base in Syria.
Dozens of demonstrators gathered outside the United Nations headquarters in the Syrian capital as well as the U.S. consulate in Istanbul to condemn U.S. involvement in Syria.
Earlier in the week U.S. warships in the Mediterranean Sea launched dozens of Tomahawk missiles at the Shayrat air base near Homs, which the Pentagon said was involved in chemical weapons attack this week that killed at least 70 people in rebel-held territory. Syria has denied it carried out the attack.
It was President Donald Trump's biggest foreign policy decision since taking office in January and the kind of direct intervention in Syria's six-year-old civil war his predecessor Barack Obama avoided.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None