- Title: South Africans in London call on President Zuma to quit
- Date: 8th April 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (APRIL 8, 2017) (REUTERS) LONDON BUS DRIVING PAST SOUTH AFRICAN HIGH COMMISSION BUILDING SIGN ON BUILDING READING (Afrikaans): "SUID-AFRIKA" PROTESTERS GATHERED OUTSIDE SOUTH AFRICAN HIGH COMMISSION SOUTH AFRICAN FLAG VARIOUS OF CROWD OF PROTESTERS / SOME HOLDING SOUTH AFRICAN FLAGS AND PLACARDS / WOMAN HOLDING PLACARD READING (English): "ZUMA MUST FALL" VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING (English): "ZUMA MUST GO" MEMBER OF SOUTH AFRICA'S DEMOCRATIC ALLIANCE (DA) OPPOSITION PARTY, WILL VAN DER MERWE, HANDING PETITION TO SOUTH AFRICAN HIGH COMMISSION REPRESENTATIVE / THE TWO MEN SHAKING HANDS (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEMBER OF DEMOCRATIC ALLIANCE (DA) PARTY, WILL VAN DER MERWE, SAYING: "We're all here together. We've gathered here to protest against the president of South Africa. He's got a number of corruption charges outstanding and, more recently, he's taken a number of reckless actions as part of the state capture and finally enough is enough. You've had South Africans all over the place marching yesterday, all political affiliations, all colours, and we're gathered in support of that here today." PROTESTERS HOLDING UP SOUTH AFRICAN FLAGS PLACARD READING (English): "NOT A JUNK COUNTRY JUST A JUNK PRESIDENT" (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEMBER OF DEMOCRATIC ALLIANCE (DA) PARTY, WILL VAN DER MERWE, SAYING: "He's shown a distinct lack of leadership as well in all other areas. He is now affecting the future of so many South Africans, the downgrade to junk status (of the country's credit rating) just the other day due to a last-minute cabinet reshuffle without consulting his own ministers, has been the nail in the coffin I think. And now you've got South Africans who are actually standing up against him. So he has to go because South Africa - the trajectory of the country is just going to turn downhill very quickly."
- Embargoed: 22nd April 2017 15:37
- Keywords: President Zuma South Africa London protest high commission
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BJFOEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of South Africans gathered outside the South African High Commission in London on Saturday (April 8) to protest against President Jacob Zuma, calling for his resignation.
The rally in London ran alongside other protests taking place in major South African cities, as thousands took to the streets demanding Zuma to quit after a cabinet reshuffle triggered the latest crisis of his presidency.
Will van der Merwe, a member of the South Africa's Democratic Alliance (DA) opposition party, handed a petition demanding Zuma's resignation to a representative of South Africa's High Commissioner. He cited the downgrade of the country's credit status by rating agency S&P Global Ratings to "junk" on Monday (April 3) as an example of Zuma's presidency, which he called "reckless".
Ramadimetje Mashigo, a supporter of the ruling African National Congress (ANC), attended the rally and echoed the opposition's calls for the removal of Zuma, but she said the country's political problems stemmed from "back men" who influenced the president.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None