- Title: VARIOUS: SOCCER / FOOTBALL - Fabio Capello appointed coach of Real Madrid
- Date: 7th July 2006
- Summary: LONDON, UK (FILE MARCH 2006) (REUTERS) DAVID BECKHAM TRAINING WITH REAL MADRID TEAM MATES BEFORE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE MATCH RONALDO BECKHAM ROBERTO CARLOS ZINEDINE ZIDANE
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2006 13:00
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA4W31MX19018IEFK5C0XOFPXJ9
- Story Text: Fabio Capello was named the new coach of Real Madrid on Wednesday (July 5), just a day after resigning from Italian champions Juventus.
The 60-year-old Italian, who steered Juve to back-to-back league titles in his two years at the club, returns to Real 10 years after his first stint with the nine times European champions. He is expected to sign a three-year contract.
Juventus are at the core of a match-fixing scandal in Italy and could be relegated and stripped of their last two league titles if a sports tribunal finds against the club.
His appointment comes two days after Ramon Calderon became Real's president following a controversial victory in an election marred by bitter personal disputes and confusion over the validity of the postal vote.
Calderon said on Wednesday (July 5) he wants England midfielder David Beckham to stay at the club 'forever'.
The 31-year-old Beckham, who stood down as England captain on Sunday after his country's defeat in the World Cup quarter-finals by Portugal, joined Real from Manchester United in July 2003 for 24.5 million pounds ($45.23 million).
The new president promised in his election campaign that he would sign Arsenal's Spanish international midfielder Cesc Fabregas, Chelsea's Dutch winger Arjen Robben and AC Milan's Brazilian midfielder Kaka. The future of some of the club's veterans like Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos are unclear Zinedine Zidane has played his last game for the club and will retire after France's World Cup campaign ends.
Capello, the former Juventus, AC Milan and AS Roma coach will have to turn round the fortunes of a club that have not won a major trophy for the last three seasons, its worst run of form in more than 50 years.
Real said Capello would arrive in Madrid on Wednesday and would be presented officially at 1000 GMT on Thursday.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None