- Title: FILE: California court refuses to hear appeal of Conrad Murray
- Date: 23rd April 2014
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE) (REUTERS) STILL PHOTO OF MICHAEL JACKSON
- Embargoed: 8th May 2014 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVAE8CPLP008W115GV0QUFK3KR00
- Story Text: The California Supreme Court on Wednesday (April 23) refused to hear an appeal by Michael Jackson's personal physician, who was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the pop star's death.
Murray's attorney had asked the court to overturn his 2011 conviction on the grounds that the intense media coverage of his trial could have influenced the jury.
The cardiologist's attorney, Valerie Wass, said Murray will likely attempt to overturn his conviction in federal court.
The trial of Grenada-born Murray, 61, grabbed global attention after Jackson, who was preparing for a series of comeback concerts in London, died unexpectedly in 2009 at age 50 from an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol.
Murray was released from a Los Angeles jail in October after serving two years.
A lower court upheld Murray's conviction in January ruling that there were no errors during his trial.
Murray was convicted after prosecutors successfully argued that the physician was grossly negligent in administering the powerful anesthetic, which was used to help the singer sleep.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.