- Title: USA: Not guilty pleas in deaths of two graduate students from China
- Date: 18th July 2012
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 18, 2012) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF SUPERIOR COURT HOUSE VARIOUS OF CHINESE JOURNALISTS OUTSIDE LOS ANGELES COURT HOUSE (SOUNDBITE) (English) YOLANDA LIN, FRIEND OF VICTIMS, SAYING: "We are classmates of Ying and Ming. We are here to show our support for them. We want justice." (SOUNDBITE) (English) JULIA WONG, FRIEND OF VICTIMS, SAYING: "Yeah, we want justice." CHINESE JOURNALISTS OUTSIDE COURT CENTER (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) YU XIONG, MEMBER OF CHINESE CONSULATE, SAYING: "The consulate has all along been carefully keeping track of this case. Ever since this occurred, we've been continuously monitoring the situation and keeping an eye on developments at every stage. After these, how do you say, (suspects) were detained, we've also been in close touch with the relevant U.S. authorities and staying abreast of new developments. We hope this can be fairly and objectively resolved in a timely manner, and grant the two deceased and their families a conclusion." FRIEND OF A VICTIM JULIA LIU, SPEAKING TO JOURNALISTS SOUNDBITE (English) JULIA LIU, FRIEND OF MING QU AND YING WU, SAYING: "Actually, I feel a bit nervous to see them because it's going to make me recall. Also, I saw those two guys' family and mom and maybe sisters or brothers. But, I also feel sad for them because they're going to lose their son. They cannot stay with their son for their entire life. It's going to be sad for four families."
- Embargoed: 2nd August 2012 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVAB12P1M0M5YFJN49IJOMTB59B
- Story Text: Two men charged in the shooting deaths of two University of Southern California (USC) graduate students from China during a botched robbery pleaded not guilty Wednesday (July 18) to capital murder.
Bryan Barnes, 20, and Javier Bolden, 19, are charged with the April 11 killings of Ming Qu and Ying Wu, both 23. The electrical engineering students were attacked while they sat in Qu's double-parked 2003 BMW, not far from the USC campus, during a downpour.
Wu was found in the passenger seat, and Qu, who apparently tried to run for help, was found on the steps of a nearby home.
The murder charges include the special circumstance allegations of multiple murders and murder during the commission of a robbery. Prosecutors will decide closer to trial whether to seek the death penalty against the two.
The Los Angeles Superior Court judge ordered the defendants to remain jailed without bail. At one point during the hearing, the judge had to pause and chastise the defendants, who were smiling and talking to each other in the courtroom holding area.
A representative from the Chinese consulate spoke to reporters after the arraignment.
"We've been continuously monitoring the situation and keeping an eye on developments at every stage. After these, how do you say, (suspects) were detained, we've also been in close touch with the relevant U.S. authorities and staying abreast of new developments," Yu Xiong said. "We hope this can be fairly and objectively resolved in a timely manner, and grant the two deceased and their families a conclusion."
A friend of Wu and Qu told reporters outside the courtroom that she had some sympathy for the defendants' families.
"I saw those two guys' family, a mom and maybe sisters or brothers," Julia Liu said. "It's going to be sad for four families."
Along with the murders, the two are charged with the attempted murder of a 20-year-old man during a party in South Los Angeles on Dec. 3. Barnes is also charged with an additional count of attempted murder and assault with a semiautomatic firearm for allegedly opening fire during another South Los Angeles party on Feb. 12, injuring two people.
Police said shell casings tied both men to the USC shootings and the earlier shootings.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None