- Title: UKRAINE: Ukraine marks 15th anniversary of post-Soviet independence.
- Date: 26th August 2006
- Summary: (CEEF) KIEV, UKRAINE (AUGUST 23, 2006) (REUTERS) WIDE SHOT INDEPENDENCE SQUARE UKRAINIAN NATIONAL FLAG WITH BLACK RIBBON NATIONAL FLAG AND MONUMENT ON THE INDEPENDENCE SQUARE TENTS AND FLAGS ON THE INDEPENDENCE SQUARE INDEPENDENCE SQUARE OFFICIALS AT THE MONUMENT TO PRINCE VLADIMIR, WHO CONVERTED UKRAINE INTO CHRISTIANITY IN 998 UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT VIKTOR YUSHCHENKO, NEWLY ELECTED PRIME MINISTER VIKTOR YANUKOVICH WITH AND OTHER OFFICIALS HOLDING FLOWERS YUSHCHENKO AND YANUKOVICH CLOSE UP OF THE MONUMENT TO PRINCE VLADIMIR HOLDING CROSS DELEGATION BOWING IN RESPECT YOUNG GIRLS AND BOYS IN NATIONAL COSTUMES LINED UP AT THE MONUMENT OFFICIALS LAYING BOUQUETS OF FLOWERS AT THE MONUMENT DOME OF CHURCH THROUGH CROSS BRIDGE OVER RIVER DNIEPER YUSHCHENKO, YANUKOVICH TOGETHER WITH OTHER OFFICIALS LIGHTING CANDLES AT THE MONUMENT TO NATIONAL MARTYRS HANDS OF YUSHCHENKO HOLDING LIGHTER/YUSHCHENKO'S FACE MONUMENT TO UKRAINE'S MARTYRS CLOSE UP OF CANDLE YUSHCHENKO AND ANETA PASHKO, THE WIDOW OF VYACHISLAV CHORNOVIL WHO WAS A DISSIDENT AND A LEADER OF NATIONAL MOVEMENT IN UKRAINE, UNVEILING THE MONUMENT TO HER HUSBAND CLOSE UP OF THE MONUMENT YUSHCHENKO AND PASHKO LAYING BOUQUETS OF FLOWERS AT THE MONUMENT PEOPLE AROUND THE MONUMENT
- Embargoed: 10th September 2006 13:00
- Location: Ukraine
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA6BY873YNMQCNZOT1K2S9JDLAX
- Story Text: Ukraine marked the 15th anniversary of its post-Soviet independence on Thursday (August 24, 2008), with prayers and an official address to the nation by President Viktor Yushchenko.
The atmosphere in Kiev was sombre, with parades and street parties cancelled in the aftermath of the crash of a Russian airliner in eastern Ukraine on Tuesday (August 22) that killed 170 people.
After prayers at Kiev's St. Sofia Cathedral, Yushchenko addressed the people of Ukraine, from the square outside the cathedral, describing the country's post-Soviet achievement as historic.
"During 15 years of independence we learned to be a people and a state at the same time; we accumulated the knowledge which has allowed us to become a nation - this is our real historic victory," said Yushchenko.
Ukraine's top politicians and social and business figures attended the ceremony on Thursday. Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovich, and Parliament speaker Oleksander Moroz were among the political leaders at the ceremony.
The anniversary commemorations were spread over two days, with Yushchenko and Yanukovich taking part in remembrance ceremonies in Kiev on Wednesday (August 23), that included the unveiling of a monument to Vyachisklav Chornovil, a Soviet era dissident, who died in a car crash in 1989. His supporters at the time blamed the Soviet authorities for his death, saying the car crash had been planned by the Ukrainian KGB.
On Wednesday, Chornovil's widow, Aneta Pashko, unveiled the statue to her husband in Kiev.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None