- Title: Germany's Steinmeier inaugurates Documenta 14 in Athens
- Date: 8th April 2017
- Summary: ATHENS, GREECE (APRIL 8, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF GREECE'S NATIONAL MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART (EMST) / BANNER WITH TITLE (Various languages): 'WE (ALL) ARE THE PEOPLE' HANGING ON SIDE WALL GERMAN PRESIDENT FRANK-WALTER STEINMEIER WALKING TO PODIUM TO DELIVER OPENING SPEECH OF DOCUMENTA 14 CONTEMPORARY ART EXHIBITION AT EMST (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN PRESIDENT, FRANK WALTER STEINMEIER, SAYING: (OFFICIAL TRANSLATION THROUGH AN INTERPRETER) "Holding the exhibition in two such diverse European cities means we need to adopt new points of view, comprehending both the familiar and the foreign simultaneously, as well as always returning to our initial goal, that of learning from one another, a process of exchange and balance, both as a way of life and of governance. We have already learned much from Athens." AUDIENCE SITTING (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN PRESIDENT, FRANK WALTER STEINMEIER, SAYING: (OFFICIAL TRANSLATION THROUGH AN INTERPRETER) "This is the Europe we Germans want. As part of the Europe of 27 member-states, we want to invest in the future of this Europe. This Documenta is a challenge, a challenge to our imagination, to the power of our imagination. Without Greece - I say this and I mean it - I cannot, and do not want to, imagine the union of our countries. Our future is - and must be - a common future." STEINMEIER AND GREEK PRESIDENT PROKOPIS PAVLOPOULOS EMBRACING AND SITTING DOWN VARIOUS OF AUDIENCE APPLAUDING MAYOR OF THE GERMAN CITY OF KASSEL, BERTRAM HILGEN, WALKING TO PODIUM (SOUNDBITE) (German) MAYOR OF KASSEL, BERTRAM HILGEN, SAYING: (OFFICIAL TRANSLATION THROUGH AN INTERPRETER) "As the mayor of the city of Kassel, I welcome you all to the opening of Documenta, the most important contemporary art exhibition in the world. I am very happy to be a guest here in Athens, this cultural capital of the world, as Athens is getting ready for a beautiful Documenta summer, until it moves to Kassel in June." ROOM IN MUSEUM WITH DOCUMENTA 14 EXHIBITS VARIOUS OF EXHIBIT TITLED: ' CLEANING OF PUBLIC SPACES' BY TOMISLAV GOTOVAC STEINMEIER, PAVLOPOULOS AND DELEGATION ENTERING ROOM OF MUSEUM TO VIEW ARTWORKS VARIOUS OF STEINMEIER LOOKING AT WORKS BY ARTIST MARIA LAI / STEINMEIER LISTENING TO DOCUMENTA 14 CURATORS STEINMEIER LOOKING AT EXHIBITS VARIOUS OF MASKS BY BEAU DICK VARIOUS OF STEINMEIER LOOKING AT MASKS BY BEAU DICK VARIOUS OF STEINMEIER AT OPENING VARIOUS OF STEINMEIER LEAVING MUSEUM
- Embargoed: 22nd April 2017 14:14
- Keywords: Documenta 14 art exhibition Kassel Steinmeier Athens
- Location: ATHENS, GREECE
- City: ATHENS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BJFM1L
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany's President Frank-Walter Steinmeier on Saturday (April 8) inaugurated the contemporary art exhibition 'Documenta 14' in Athens, the first time in its history that it is being held outside the German city of Kassel.
Steinmeier said the exhibition - whose working title is "Learning from Athens" - was a 'challenge to the imagination' and urged visitors to learn from both cities hosting it.
Organisers have said Greece's role at the centre of Europe's financial and migration crises drove the decision to twin the art show between Athens and Kassel, though exhibits will not be limited to those themes.
More than 160 artists are showcasing new works in Documenta 14, one of Europe's top modern art exhibitions and which only takes place every five years.
The exhibition will run in the Greek capital in more than 40 landmark locations, including archaeological sites, squares, cinemas, and libraries until July. It will also still run in Kassel, starting from June 10.
Documenta 13 - the first Documenta was in 1955 - drew more than 900,000 visitors in Kassel in 2012.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None