- Title: Thousands protest in Hungary against bill that could oust Soros university
- Date: 9th April 2017
- Summary: BUDAPEST, HUNGARY (APRIL 9, 2017) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS MARCHING ACROSS CHAIN BRIDGE PROTESTER HOLDING BANNER SAYING "Not the CEU (Central European University) should be closed but Orban should be!" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE MARCHING PROTESTER CARRYING BANNER SAYING "Keep off the CEU" PROTESTERS MARCHING PROTESTER HOLDING BANNER SAYING "Orban doesn't like the CEU, I am a student. Do I scare you?" BANNER SAYING "We want democracy, I stand with the CEU" PROTESTERS MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTEST ORGANISER, KORNEL KLOPFSTEIN, SAYING: "The government wants to silence pretty much everyone who thinks otherwise, who doesn't think the same as them, who thinks freely, who can be liberal, can be leftist, can be both, they just want to silence them. And according to the government one of the centres of these people are at CEU, so that's why they want to close it down." SIGN OF CEU OF UNIVERSITY BUILDING AND PROTESTERS MARCHING PAST IT VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING PAST CEU BUILDING CEU SIGN (SOUNDBITE) (Hungarian) PROTESTER BARA BOGNAR SAYING: "(I protest against) the method, the lack of dialogue, the efforts for years to annihilate all democratic institutions, this cannot be the future of us nor our children." PROTESTERS CHEERING VARIOUS OF ROLLS OF PAPER CONTAINING NAMES OF THOSE WHO EXPRESSED THEIR SUPPORT FOR CEU PASSED ALONG BY PROTESTERS PROTESTER HOLDING PAPER SAYING "VETO" PROTESTER HOOTING PROTESTERS SHOUTING "FREE COUNTRY, FREE UNIVERSITY" PROTESTERS CLAPPING (SOUNDBITE) (Hungarian) TEACHER AT CEU GABOR BRODY SAYING: "In this country knowledge and research are of value. We cannot let it happen that this fame should be destroyed because of dubious political aims." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING UP THEIR MOBILE PHONES LIT UP PHONES LIT UP BY BANNER SAYING "MORE (C)EU, LESS ORBAN" PROTESTERS HOLDING LIT UP PHONES AND SHOUTING "DICTATOR" PROTESTERS HOLDING PAPER "VETO" AND BANNER SAYING "CEU WILL REMAIN
- Embargoed: 23rd April 2017 20:43
- Keywords: Hungary Soros university Orban protest democracy
- Location: BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
- City: BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
- Country: Hungary
- Topics: Fundamental Rights/Civil Liberties,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BOG407
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tens of thousands of Hungarians protested in central Budapest on Sunday (April 9) against new legislation that could force the Central European University (CEU), a school founded by U.S. financier George Soros, to move out of the country.
A bill passed in Parliament this week by the ruling right-wing Fidesz party of Prime Minister Viktor Orban, a critic of liberal civil organisations funded by Soros, targeted CEU by setting numerous new conditions under which it must operate.
The bill has led to criticism from hundreds of leading academics worldwide as well as from the U.S. government and the European Union.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None