- Title: Polls close in Georgia's breakaway South Ossetia
- Date: 9th April 2017
- Summary: TSKHINVALI, GEORGIA (APRIL 9, 2017) (REUTERS) ELECTION COMMISSION TURNING OVER BALLOT BOX VARIOUS OF ELECTION COMMISSION MEMBERS PULLING REMAINING BALLOTS OUT OF BALLOT BOX BALLOTS ON TABLE ELECTION COMMISSION COUNTING BALLOTS BALLOTS WITH TICKS AND HEARTS IN BOXES COUNTING IN PROCESS
- Embargoed: 23rd April 2017 19:42
- Keywords: Georgia South Ossetia breakaway republic election presidential poll polls close
- Location: TSKHINVALI, GEORGIA
- City: TSKHINVALI, GEORGIA
- Country: Georgia
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BOG0UF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Polling stations in the breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia closed on Sunday (April 9) as residents cast their vote in the presidential election.
The voters made their choice between pro-Russian incumbent President Leonid Tibilov, parliament speaker and leader of the United Ossetia political party Anatoly Bibilov, and an employee of the State Security Committee Alan Gagloyev.
Election results will be announced on Monday (April 10) morning.
Moscow has effectively controlled South Ossetia, a sliver of mainly mountainous land in northern Georgia, since 2008. Russia recognised the tiny region of about 30,000 people as an independent nation after a 2008 war between Russia and Georgia, but it remains heavily dependent on Moscow's financial help and military protection.
Only a handful of other states recognise it as a state.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None