- Title: Eyewitnesses describe moments before bombs hit two Egyptian churches
- Date: 9th April 2017
- Summary: MORE OF PEOPLE PICKING UP DEBRIS FROM BLAST CHAIR SEEN IN STREET WITH BLOOD ON IT
- Embargoed: 23rd April 2017 17:08
- Keywords: Egypt explosion Alexandria bomb church
- Location: ALEXANDRIA AND TANTA, EGYPT
- City: ALEXANDRIA AND TANTA, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0036BOFRD3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Eyewitnesses described the moments when two explosions hit two different Coptic Egyptian churches on Palm Sunday (April 9).
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attacks which have killed at least 36 people and injured more than 100 in the latest assault on a religious minority increasingly targeted by Islamist militants.
The attacks took place a week before Easter and in the same month that Pope Francis is scheduled to visit Egypt.
The first bombing, in Tanta, a Nile Delta city less than 100 kilometres outside Cairo, killed at least 25 and injured at least 78, Egypt's Ministry of Health said.
The second, carried out just a few hours later by a suicide bomber in Alexandria, hit the historic seat of the Coptic Pope, killing 11, including three police officers, and injuring 35, the ministry added.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None