- Title: FILE: American singer Sheryl Crow diagnosed with cancer
- Date: 2nd March 2006
- Summary: CROW WITH CHILDREN
- Embargoed: 17th March 2006 12:00
- Topics: Entertainment,Health
- Reuters ID: LVA479N5K2M2L0462S8HIZLIYJ4E
- Story Text: Grammy winner Sheryl Crow had surgery for breast cancer and postponed a North American tour scheduled to start next month, the singer announced on her Web site on Friday (February 24).
Crow's Web site said she underwent successful surgery on Wednesday (February 22) and described the procedure as "minimally invasive." Doctors said her prognosis was excellent and she would have radiation treatments as a precaution.
"I am joining the more than 200,000 women who will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year," Crow said. "We are a testament to the importance of early detection and new treatments ... I am inspired by the brave women who have faced this battle before me and grateful for the support of family and friends."
Last month, Crow, 44, and Lance Armstrong, seven-time winner of the Tour de France cycling race and a survivor of testicular, brain and lung cancer, announced they were scrapping plans to get married after a two-year relationship.
Crow is calling off her March-April tour but intends to reschedule as much of it as possible.
The Missouri native was a school teacher before starting a singing career that led to a job as a backup singer to Michael Jackson and later to nine Grammy Awards. Her hits include "All I Wanna Do," "Everyday Is a Winding Road," "If It Makes You Happy" and "Soak Up the Sun."
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None