- Title: PERU: Pisco sour flows at Lima festival
- Date: 5th February 2010
- Summary: WOMAN TASTING PISCO SOUR VARIOUS OF DANCERS PERFORMING (2 SHOTS) PUPPETS AND CROWD ARRIVING AT FESTIVAL BARTENDER MIXING AND SERVING PISCO SOUR PEOPLE TOASTING AND DRINKING
- Embargoed: 20th February 2010 12:00
- Location: Peru
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA7ANSGBAV0SZSSGCEGA9UEGPYB
- Story Text: Dozens of bartenders mixed up the country's famed drink pisco sour in Lima on Thursday (February 04) to kick off the Seventh Annual Pisco Festival, held to promote the grape-based liquor consumed in Peru.
Mixologists stirred up drinks to the rhythms of traditional bands as dance troupes put on a show in an event organized by the city of Santiago de Surco and a national commission that oversees production and sales of pisco.
A traditional pisco sour is pisco, shaved ice, lemon juice, egg whites, and bitters, but bartenders were turning out new versions of the standard.
Both Chile and Peru claim pisco they are the origin of pisco, but officials in Peru say their southern neighbor, along with the United States, has become one of the biggest importers of Peruvian pisco.
Pisco production in Peru has quadrupled since 2002, with 6.67 million liters bottled annually, while exports have gone up 11 times since in the same time span. There are now 375 in Peru companies dedicated to bottling and selling the pisco.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.