- Title: PERU: Pisco sour flows at Lima festival
- Date: 5th February 2010
- Summary: WAITER SERVING PISCO DRINKS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MARIA GALVEZ, PERUVIAN WOMAN, SAYING "Pisco is tradition. It's Peruvian, 100 percent Peruvian. Cheers!" BARTENDERS SERVING PISCO SOUR DRINKS CARLOS BARRIGA, PERUVIAN MAN, WEARING SHIRT THAT READS: PISCO IS PERUVIAN, AND DRINKING PISCO SOUR SURCO MAYOR JUAN DEL MAR INAUGURATING VII NATIONAL PISCO SOUR FESTIVAL (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) JUAN DEL MAR, SURCO MAYOR, SAYING: "Today, we're here celebrating Pisco Sour Day. For four consecutive years, here in the Santiago district of Surco, we enjoy 80 bartenders exhibiting their art of preparing pisco sour."
- Embargoed: 20th February 2010 12:00
- Location: Peru
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA6NOMFQ6GA41P995HWDBHXYK8O
- Story Text: Dozens of bartenders mixed up the country's famed drink pisco sour in Lima on Thursday (February 04) to kick off the Seventh Annual Pisco Festival, held to promote the grape-based liquor consumed in Peru.
Mixologists stirred up drinks to the rhythms of traditional bands as dance troupes put on a show in an event organized by the city of Santiago de Surco and a national commission that oversees production and sales of pisco.
A traditional pisco sour is pisco, shaved ice, lemon juice, egg whites, and bitters, but bartenders were turning out new versions of the standard.
Both Chile and Peru claim pisco they are the origin of pisco, but officials in Peru say their southern neighbor, along with the United States, has become one of the biggest importers of Peruvian pisco.
Pisco production in Peru has quadrupled since 2002, with 6.67 million liters bottled annually, while exports have gone up 11 times since in the same time span. There are now 375 in Peru companies dedicated to bottling and selling the pisco.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None