- Title: USA: Powerball lottery jackpot reaches $250 million
- Date: 8th February 2012
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FEBRUARY 7, 2012) (REUTERS) LINE OF PEOPLE WAITING IN LINE TO PURCHASE LOTTERY TICKETS SIGNS ADVERTISING POWERBALL PERSON FILLING OUT LOTTERY CARD STORE CLERK TELLING PATRON POWERBALL JACKPOT IS $250 MILLION VARIOUS OF STORE CLERK INPUTTING LOTTERY NUMBERS AND INTERACTING WITH LOTTERY PATRONS LOTTERY TICKETS PRINTING CLERK PUTTING MONEY INTO CASH DRAWER LOTTERY TICKETS BEING PRINTED COMPUTER SCREEN SHOWING ESTIMATED $250 MILLION POWERBALL JACKPOT STORE CLERK GIVING LOTTERY TICKETS TO PATRON AND TELLING HIM TO SHARE HIS WINNINGS IF HE WINS MAN PURCHASING TICKETS FOR THE NEXT 10 POWERBALL DRAWINGS MAN COUNTING MONEY AND PURCHASING A POWERBALL TICKET (SOUNDBITE) (English) KWAME, PURCHASED A POWERBALL TICKET SAYING: "When I win $250 million, what am I going to do with the money? I'm going back to Africa." NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FEBRUARY 7, 2012) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF CONVENIENCE STORE VARIOUS OF MICHELLE CURRY BUYING POWERBALL TICKET STORE CLERK PROCESSING POWERBALL TICKET AND HANDING IT TO CURRY CURRY TAKING HER TICKETS COMPUTER SCREEN FLASHING POWERBALL JACKPOT $250 MILLION DOLLARS VARIOUS OF LOUIS ALAMO PURCHASING POWERBALL TICKETS ALAMO HOLDING UP TICKET SAYING "THIS IS THE NUMBER, THE WINNER. TWO THREE SIX TWO. THAT'S THE WINNER. YEAH, I'M TELLING YOU, THAT'S MY NUMBERS" (SOUNDBITE) (English) LOUIS ALAMO SAYING: "I need money. I want to retire, don't work no more. This is the ticket." POWERBALL TICKETS ON TOP OF COUNTER VARIOUS OF MARCELINO TORRIES BUYING POWERBALL TICKETS (SOUNDBITE) (English) MARCELINO TORRIES SAYING: "I got a lot of use for it. I got a big family, daughters you know, five great grand kidsâ€¦and then charity, one of my favorites. With that money I could help homeless people." TORRIES LEAVING SHOP
- Embargoed: 23rd February 2012 12:00
- Location: Usa, Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Economy,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA6DW15Z3ROI0WHP5G2506MADJ2
- Story Text: A $2 lottery ticket could be worth $250 million in the Wednesday (February 8) Powerball drawing in the United States. The lottery which is played in the majority of U.S. States, has already reached $250 million and is growing as the drawing nears.
Six weeks have passed since the last winning jackpot was claimed back in December and "lucky" Powerball players lined up for their chance to become instant millionaires on Tuesday (February 7).
Hitting the jackpot is easy...the winner will match five numbers ranging from 1 to 59 and the powerful number between 1and 35.
New Yorker Marcelino Torries told Reuters what he would do if he won the lottery jackpot.
"I got a lot of use for it. I got a big family, daughters you know, five great grand kids and then charity, one of my favorites. With that money I could help homeless people."
The highest powerball jackpot reached $365 million in 2006, where eight co-workers from a Nebraska meat-packing plant divided the mega-million dollar prize.
The odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 175,223,510.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None