- Title: CHINA: Surgeons successfully remove a third arm from a 2-month-old baby
- Date: 6th June 2006
- Summary: (BN09)SHANGHAI,CHINA (RECENT)(REUTERS) VARIOUS STILLS OF THE BABY BOY KNOWN AS JIE-JIE, BORN WITH THREE ARMS, BEING LOOKED AFTER AT SHANGHAI CHILDREN'S MEDICAL CENTRE (3 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 21st June 2006 13:00
- Location: China
- Country: China
- Topics: Health
- Reuters ID: LVAO3JT9QQZNSEOQGRTVVXBENHW
- Story Text: Doctors on Tuesday (June 6) successfully removed a third arm from a 2-month-old boy at the Children's Medical Centre in Shanghai.
The baby, identified only as "Jie Jie", was born with one right arm and two left arms. He also was born with just one kidney and may have problems that could lead to curvature of the spine.
Doctors removed the left arm close to his chest, which was believed much less developed.
Jie Jie's mother cried when she knew the surgery was successful.
"I am very happy. I want to thank the doctors and all the people who have helped us," said Jie Jie's mother.
Jie Jie is receiving special treatment right now. He may receive more surgery in the future if necessary.
Jie Jie was born into a farming family in central China's Anhui province.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None