- Title: Jewish people in Jerusalem prepare for Passover holiday
- Date: 9th April 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (APRIL 9, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** RESIDENTS OF ISRAELI ULTRA ORTHODOX JEWISH NEIGHBOURHOOD IN JERUSALEM WALKING VARIOUS OF ULTRA ORTHODOX JEWS QUEUING AT STAND TO MAKE THEIR DISHES KOSHER FOR PASSOVER CHILDREN WATCHING VARIOUS OF MAN IMMERSING KITCHEN UTENSILS IN BOILING WATER TO MAKE THEM KOSHER FOR PASSOVER MAN HOLDING PAN MAN TAKING UTENSILS OUT OF BOX AND PUTTING THEM IN BASKET AHEAD OF CLEANSING MAN PUTTING CUTLERY INSIDE POT (SOUNDBITE) (English) ELIEZER, NEIGHBORHOOD RESIDENT, SAYING: "Before Passover, we have to make clean the dishes and therefor you boil them in hot water and then they will be Kosher for Passover." MORE OF MAN IMMERSING KITCHEN UTENSILS IN BOILING WATER TO MAKE THEM KOSHER FOR PASSOVER JERUSALEM (APRIL 6, 2017) (REUTERS) WESTERN WALL WITH DOME OF THE ROCK (LEFT) AND AL-AQSA MOSQUE (RIGHT) ABOVE IT JEWS PRAYING AT WESTERN WALL PEOPLE ACTING AS PRIESTS IN THE ANCIENT JEWISH TEMPLE STANDING IN FRONT OF CROWD TO RE-ENACT BIBLICAL CEREMONY OF PASSOVER SACRIFICE SYNAGOGUE IN OLD CITY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ACTING AS PRIESTS RE-ENACTING ANCIENT JEWISH PRIESTLY BLESSING MAN PREPARING TO SLAUGHTER SHEEP FOR THE CEREMONY PEOPLE IN CROWD (SOUNDBITE) (English) YOEL SHWARTZ, WHO ATTENDED THE CEREMONY, SAYING: "We stay here, after two thousand years of Diaspora. We need to make exercise what will be when the Messiah will come, when we build the Temple. We will need to know what to do the sacrifices. So we make a test here. This is the evening before passover, we made the test how to do after the Temple will be built." DEAD SHEEP BEING PLACE ON ALTAR AS SACRIFICE AS PART OF RE-ENACTMENT CEREMONY CROWD IN FRONT OF ALTAR
- Embargoed: 23rd April 2017 12:18
- Keywords: Israel Passover Religion
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BOGABR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Jews in Israel on Sunday (April 9) made last-minute preparations for the Jewish holiday of Passover, due to begin Monday at sunset.
In Jewish ultra orthodox neighbourhoods of Jerusalem residents burnt all remnants of leavened food before the start of the holiday.
During the holiday Jewish believers refrain from eating 'chametz', all food products that contain leavened wheat and oats.
Residents queued with their kitchen utensils and dishes to wash them in boiling water and make them kosher for the holiday.
In Jerusalem's Old City, Jewish activists gathered to re-enact an ancient Temple-era custom of slaughtering sheep for Passover.
Jews celebrate Passover in memory of the exodus of the Jewish people from slavery in Egypt in ancient times.
On the eve of the holiday, families convene to eat a ceremonial dinner, also known as the Seder, in which a special text is read (Haggadah), describing the suffering of the Jewish people in Egypt and their journey in the desert.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None