- Title: Hollande,Trudeau mark 100-year of Vimy Ridge
- Date: 9th April 2017
- Summary: HOLLANDE AND TRUDEAU AT CEREMONY / GIANT POPPY COVERED WITH RED SHEET CROWD SEATED BEHIND HOLLANDE AND TRUDEAU PEOPLE WATCHING CEREMONY FROM WINDOW HOLLANDE AND TRUDEAU AT CEREMONY VARIOUS OF AUDIENCE AT CEREMONY HOLLANDE AND TRUDEAU SHAKING HANDS WITH MAYOR OF ARRAS, FREDERIC LETURQUE SCHOOL GIRL READING "IN FLANDERS FIELDS", A POEM ABOUT WORLD WAR ONE BY JOHN MCCRAE
- Embargoed: 23rd April 2017 11:16
- Keywords: Vimy Francois Hollande Justin Trudeau Battle of Vimy Ridge World War One Arras France Canada peace poppy
- Location: ARRAS, FRANCE
- City: ARRAS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0036BOER0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Francois Hollande and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Sunday (April 9) led the opening ceremony for the World War One centenary commemorations of the Battle of Vimy Ridge in northern France, paying tribute to the the thousands of soldiers killed.
On that day, then Easter Monday in 1917, more than 3,500 Canadian soldiers, many of them not even 20 years old, lost their lives in a hard-fought battle as part of the former British Empire against the German forces in which they successfully captured the ridge.
After a giant poppy made up of messages of love and thanks was unveiled on the Place des Heros, Hollande and Trudeau proceeded to write their own messages and put them among the others.
Hollande, Trudeau and Britain's Princes Charles, William and Harry will later participate in a ceremony at Vimy, which 25,000 people are set to attend.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None